Menu
Charlie76
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ps4. High ping. Poor gaming.

Hi there,
Ive been having problems whilst gaming for quite some time now. I'm playing call of duty black ops 3 on a ps4. I've done all the calls to your help line, I've had the engineer at the house, I've had another ps4 connected to it. But still the same fault persists. Whilst gaming the ping goes to over 400 and the drops away down again. So I end up running into walls while trying to walk through a door. I'm not that tech savvy but I think I port forwarded as described on the game cause nat type was strict. Help I'm going mad. Thanks in advance. Charlie.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ps4. High ping. Poor gaming.

Hi Charlie76,

Thanks for dropping into the community, though the lag and ping problems in CoD on your PS4 sound frustrating.

I've run a few follow up checks on your connection from this end and can't see any issues that would cause the in game latency problems you describe, is your connection wired or wireless?

If you've not yet tried it then dropping your Hub into modem mode and testing may also be an idea.

Let us know how it goes. 

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Charlie76
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If I did change it to modem mode would I need a cable to connect to the ps4 and would my phone, iPads etc still work?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Charlie76 wrote:
If I did change it to modem mode would I need a cable to connect to the ps4 and would my phone, iPads etc still work?

Yes you would need an Ethernet cable as modem mode turns off the hub's wireless router functions, which answers your second question no those devices wouldn't work while the hub was in modem mode.  Don't panic, this is not being suggested as a permanent solution but merely a test to see if it makes a difference to your problem.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Charlie76

Did you manage to try modem mode as Ralph suggested to see if it helps with this BO3 issue? Can you also let us know if there's a general improvement whilst connected over ethernet? Do these problems only happen on this game or with others too? I've been playing BO3 quite a bit lately and I've had some similar issues in the evening with popular games like"domination" and "team death match" but other were ok.

Speak soon Smiley Happy

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos