Menu
adriansito
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Problems playing any videogame: high latency

Hello,

It's my first month with Virgin and the experience is really frustrating. Everything seems to be working fine until I start playing any online videogame, no matter if it's Counter Strike, Leage of Legends, Heroes of Storm... I start with an amazing ping close to 30ms but then I start experiencing issues and having weird jumps to 2000ms, resulting in a terrible experience.

I already called to the help center and they told me that there is no problems in my area, but it's obvious I'm experimenting problems every single day.

Could you please give me a solution?

0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems playing any videogame: high latency

I have same issue in call of duty. one minute its fine then theres periods i cant kill anyone.if your download and upload are fine thens probably jitter causing the problem(virgin are well known for this) which results in unstable connection
0 Kudos
adriansito
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

So what's the solution for that? Should I just change my provider?

It's even worse than connecting to my iPhone 4G connection...

0 Kudos
adriansito
Tuning in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

This is the speed test: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1433087432783230055

It's supposed that I would have 50. But my main concern is about the latency, 20 Mbps is fair enough.

0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

We cant to do anything jitter is down to isp. they told me my connection was fine but clearly its not when i hsve umplayable latency.
0 Kudos
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

But when virgin see ypur post they will test your connection
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adriansito,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you're getting issues gaming online. I've taken a look at your connection and I'm surprised this is only happening when you play games. Both your up and downstream power levels are out of spec and need a technician to come and adjust it. This will cause slow speeds and disconnections. I've just sent you a private message to arrange the best time for a technician to come around. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
adriansito
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I tech guy come 2 weeks ago but I'm still suffering from the same problems. It's really annoying, I'm paying for a broadband connection and the only way to paly is by doing tethering from my 3G SIM card.

Could you give me a solution? Because if not I would prefer to swtich to a 3G modem than this.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adriansito,

Sorry to hear you're still getting the same issue. There is no magic 'fix' though, we need to find what is causing the poor latency and remedy that. I've checked your connection and everything looks fine from this end now so the technician has done their job and sorted the power levels. Could you try your hub in modem mode? This will change your IP address as well as disable the hubs router functions. 

It would also help if you could run a traceroute to one of the gaming servers you use and post it here for us to take a look at . 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
adriansito
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Well this is getting worse, basically when Im playing any kind of film on Netflix or Amazing Video is suffering from the same thing, it's not just about gaming.

I'm not going to say that the tech didn't fix the issue but this is definitely my worst experience using an internet broadband provider, is even worse when I just had 2 MB from another company in Spain.

Could you please give me a solution? I've billed once already and I basically can't use internet for gaming or streaming video which is basically my main needs.

In addition, sometimes the network just stops working randomly and I can't event browse any website, I really need a solution for this please,

Thanks

0 Kudos