Menu
MSim88
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Problem with my Service and Can I change my IP

Hello,

I have been with Virgin now for about 9 months at this new flat Iv'e moved in to.

Up to now I haven't really had much problems, I am a partner with a website called Twitch.Tv where people watch you game. In the last 2 weeks I have been having a serious problem with IP attacks or DDOS (Distributed Denial of Service) Attack on my IP.

Because I stream and earn part of my living from this website and use the service virgin provides, I require the best connection so I pay for the best internet package.

Over the last 2 weeks, I have been calling support on the phone and I always get redirected to an Indian call support centre. I have no had 6 phone calls with them. On the 14th they said to me a new router will be sent out to me and that it takes 2 working days. 6 days later nothing. I call up again today and they say they can see the note on the system for a new router to be sent out but that they don't know why the original one wasn't full sent through and processed. And I'm sitting here just shaking my head.

With this Virgin package I use which is the most expensive possible, I have a static IP. Because I stream to a high profile website like Twitch.Tv with my gaming and am a very popular online personality. It appears someone is doing these attacks on my IP for the sake of it, either from jealousy or complete boredom.

Firstly I havn't had good use of my service for the last 2 weeks, and as this is Part of my Job to earn my living this is not been a good 2 weeks for me.

I wan't to know If it is possible to change my IP to dynamic, So that I can change it on my end. I pay the highest priced package so It's not right for me to be sitting here not able to use my serivce on a Games Streaming website because I have a static IP and therefore the IP always remains the same.

Apparently this new router that I have yet to recieve and have had to chase up twice, when and IF this arrives apparently changes the mac adress and therefore changes and assigns a new IP. But again it remains static.

I have safeguards in place to prevent this occuring again, (The DDOS attacks), by using a VPN on my computer (Virtual Private Network) To ensure no attacker can get my IP when it gets changed. Because thats the problem I have right now with it always remaing the same as the attacker has my IP.

My IP has to be easier to change then sitting here for 2 weeks with numerous calls being diverted to the indian call support centre. When I try and explain my situation to them they tell me they are network engineers but when I mention I'm being targetted by a DDOSer and that I game for part of my living on a streaming website they turn around and tell me they have no idea what a Direct Denial of Service attack is. And I'm thinking how can you not as network engineers.

I wan't a dynamic IP, Is this possible?

My main use for being a Virgin customer is to use the Internet package I have to stream to Twitch.tv, Having a static IP and having to talk to support centres that struggle to understand what I'm talkign about and vica versa really is hindering my experience as a Virgin Customer.

The exposed Internet feed into my block of flatsThe exposed Internet feed into my block of flatsAlso this is the current state of the Internet wires coming into the property, It doesn't look good. For all I know people are trying to steal off the internet for free and pay nothing. Also my upload speed has reduced from 20 mb when I joined 9 months ago to now 12mb (-8), Whats up with that?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem with my Service and Can I change my IP

If you really were promised a new router because of DDOS attacks and you want to speak to someone UK based about it, call in again, once in the main menu, go with option 4 -> option 5 (between 8AM to 8PM weekday wise.) While discussing it with them, ask them to book in an unattended engineer appointment to get your property's omni box replaced.

VM IP residential IP addresses are neither static or dynamic. They are sticky. I.E. you have one for a long time, but it eventually changes. VM don't do IP changes upon request. 

If you had a 20Mb upload which has slipped to 12Mb, you probably were in one of the areas which was trialing faster speeds and that trial ended. You can get a 20Mb upload again, but you'd have to add the 300Mb bolt-on to your broadband package. It requires that you have 200Mb broadband already, and for the first 24 months it adds the (additional) £13.99, after which increases to an additional £19.99 a month.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Shelke wrote:

VM IP residential IP addresses are neither static or dynamic. They are sticky. I.E. you have one for a long time, but it eventually changes. VM don't do IP changes upon request. 

I'm going to be a little nit picky here- Sorry Shelke

Dynamic means allocated by DHCP which Virgin's are, however because of the always on nature of the connection and the long lease times they do not change very often.

In fact reading up about how DHCP works, it should be noted that a DHCP clients can and do ask for the last IP address that was allocated to them when reconnecting.  It's only if the IP address has been reallocated by the DHCP server, that they end up being given a new address.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

Shelke wrote:

I'm going to be a little nit picky here- Sorry Shelke

Dynamic means allocated by DHCP which Virgin's are, however because of the always on nature of the connection and the long lease times they do not change very often.

In fact reading up about how DHCP works, it should be noted that a DHCP clients can and do ask for the last IP address that was allocated to them when reconnecting.  It's only if the IP address has been reallocated by the DHCP server, that they end up being given a new address.

Ravenstar68

Nit pick away Raven Cat Happy

Personally I don't care too much for underlying operational side of protocols and such. As long as they work, no need to look into it. A 'Dynamic IP' to me, in my definition of 'dynamic' is: A new ip address assigned every time you reboot your kit.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If your twitch streaming all the time its more likely your saturating the upstream and either getting traffic managed or dropping the connection than being DDOs'ed. Especially if your using a  VPN.

0 Kudos
MSim88
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

To the above. No its 100% a ddos attack
I have been in this flat for 9 months previous with 0 issues. I can stream to twitch on alternate accounts with 0 issues. But my partnered account as soon as it goes live it gets ddossed. Two weeks ago I recieved a call mid stream on skype. The stream had been working fine for over 2 hours. I declined the call and 5 minutes later the problems started to occur. And subsequently everytime I go live on my main partnered twitch account I get hit and then the internet eventually goes off completely. Whoever is doing it wiresharked my IP via skype and has set up a script for the DDOS to begin everytime "x user has just gone live" being me. There is no other explanantion
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What super hub do you have and what IP do you have? so I can ICMP timestamp you. 

0 Kudos
MSim88
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It was the model in circulation for vivid 200, 9 months ago.

I think it's the super hub 2, I dont know how to distinguish between the 2 and the 2ac

Also you want me to give you my IP on this public forum? 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

MSim88 wrote:

Also you want me to give you my IP on this public forum? 

Your saying your being ddos attack as it is so why not? Also does it only happen at given times?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi MSim88,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble streaming. Could you check the firewall log of the hub and post it here for us to take a look? If this is a DDoS attack I'd strongly suggest you report this using our netreport tool. I would also advise contacting Twitch support to make them aware of the situation.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos