Menu
Kieran17
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Port forwarding

All this port forwarding is confusing can someone help make it simple for me to understand as the Hub 3.0 since upgrading has made my connection on Xbox unplayable with constant lag
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Port forwarding

The hub 3 has Latency issues port forwarding will not help you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kieran17
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How do I stop the lag issues without port forwarding?
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Kieran17 wrote:
How do I stop the lag issues without port forwarding?

you don't a firmware patch is needed and theirs not one yet.

0 Kudos
greeniegirl
Superfast
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Morning

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your connection.

Have you divided the 2 wifi frequencies within the hub?  You will have a 2.4ghz (better range)  and 5ghz (faster ).  Hub 3's are sent out where the hub only shows you 1 wifi name but in fact you have 2.  You can log into the router to divide them so you see a 2.4ghz and 5ghz (aslong as your device is 5ghz compatible).

Once they are divided I would recommend changing your wifi channel, it may be on 1/6 or 11.  These are the auto channels which every device runs on unless they are changed manually.  Worth a try picking a different channel, maybe channel 8.  Every property is different with wifi interference but you are the best person to decide which channel works best for you.

Here is a link that can talk you through accessing your hub: 

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Hope this helps

I am a virginmedia employee but all opinions are my own.
0 Kudos
Kieran17
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I looged into the router and disabled the 2.4ghz so only the 5ghz is connected but the lag issues were still occurring.
0 Kudos
greeniegirl
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Can you please disable the 5ghz and stay on the 2.4ghz to see what the performance is like on this frequency, also change the channel if it is on auto.  Restart your xbox connection aswell please.  Let me know if this helps please

0 Kudos
greeniegirl
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Also keep this link, this will keep you updated with anyone else having issues with xbox server:

http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/xbox-live

0 Kudos
Kieran17
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do I change it from auto to manual?
0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

greeniegirl wrote:

Once they are divided I would recommend changing your wifi channel, it may be on 1/6 or 11.  These are the auto channels which every device runs on unless they are changed manually.  Worth a try picking a different channel, maybe channel 8.  Every property is different with wifi interference but you are the best person to decide which channel works best for you.

There is a reason all devices stick to 1/6/11. It is better to be on one of those channels than an overlapping channel. Routers can work with networks on the same channel to reduce interference, but not those overlapping on other channels.

If you use channel 8, you are overlapping with 6 and 11 which will cause problems for you and your neighbours on 6 and 11.

Virgin customer service will always suggest trying random channels, but this goes against advice from the likes of Netgear and Cisco. 

0 Kudos