Menu
Arnaudconda
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Port 53

Hello,

I cannot open port 53 and it makes me crazy and also on moderate nat on Xbox One.

Virgin Media, did you really reserve the most important port to play on Xbox Live!!!??? 

The one that has stayed the same for 10 years?

Tell me, please, that this is a bad joke...

Arnaud

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Port 53

Games or Xbox One that list ports they don't analyse what initial direction it was done so they don't list outgoing or incoming which is not helpful so you have to analyse or guess the required ports yourself.

0 Kudos
Arnaudconda
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey,

I don't know if it is because if I am not English or not skilled enough but I have trouble understanding your message:

- The only thing i got is you advise to use the hub as a modem but then, do i have to buy a router?

- I did not get the firds part about outgoing and stuff, all I know is it is necessary to open port 53 to have open Nat on Xbox Live.

Thank you for your help and sorry to ask for more.

Regards

Arnaud

0 Kudos
Arnaudconda
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I just did the outgoing test and this is the result for 53:

TCP port 53 not tested limitation

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Arnaudconda wrote:

I just did the outgoing test and this is the result for 53:

TCP port 53 not tested limitation

It means its excluded and not setup to be tested should that port under TCP be in use and is reserved.

Note that some web browsers block given ports for outgoing.

In any case port 53 mostly UDP and outgoing is for the use of DNS so for a game to use that port other then DNS lookups is unlikely.

0 Kudos
Arnaudconda
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Really?

It has been necessary to open the port 53 fior Xbox Live for 10 years, and every one has to do it to achieve open nats. I did it myself on more than 20 occasions and it is the first time a router prevents me from doing so...

I am confused.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If I could find a Xbox pcapr then I be able to tell how it works but you would need someone with the hardware to do that and I have no need for a Xbox I'm a PC gamer.
http://www.pcapr.net/home

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Arnaudconda wrote:

Really?

It has been necessary to open the port 53 fior Xbox Live for 10 years, and every one has to do it to achieve open nats. I did it myself on more than 20 occasions and it is the first time a router prevents me from doing so...

I am confused.

Well thats Funny as I have never had to Open ANY ports and get open NAT all the time on my Xbox. In fact I just been playing Black Ops 2 on my 360 and it has open nat with NO ports forward to it on my Superhub 2AC in Router Mode.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I personally have a problem with the suggestion that you should open Port 53 inbound.  While I know the XBox Live pages say it should be forwarded I still don't understand why.

Far from being an XBox Live Port - Port 53 has a specific purpose.  It is reserved for DNS lookups by IANA much as port 80 is reserved for HTTP servers.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
sward84
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I agree, Microsoft have advised that port 53 should be opened for over ten years. I suppose it depends on where you live in the UK but where I live Virgin Media is very poor, I am planning on switching. I also just wanted to add that Microsoft advised Virgin Media whilst in the trial and error stage of building the Superhub 2ac that it is not entirely compatible with the Xbox One as it interprets IPv4 and IPv6 incorrectly, causing lag issues, packet loss and random disconnects. I'd have to side with Microsoft as an international mult-billion dollar giant cooperation with the power and knowledge when it comes to software, hardware and networking over Virgin Media and that piece of cheap Chinese plastic called the superhub, what exactly is so super about it apart from its super ability to crap out... I've just received the hub 3.0 which is equally as bad and even slower than the superhub, that was my last hope in regards to staying with VM as I'll be cancelling within the first 14 days of my new contract.