Menu
Willir29
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Poor routing issues on Valve games.

It has been almost 2 months now and I have not been able to play CSGO on Steam without awful rubber banding and weird lagg spikes. I try playing most days by testing the servers, but give up within 10 minutes because it is that bad. Apart from the gaming, the internet overall has been average and I am not impressed.

I recently upgraded to 200meg from 152meg and I can honestly say the upgrade has made no difference what so ever. Before Virgin rolled out 200meg across the UK the internet in the area, especially around peak hours is very poor. I have been in contact with the so called 'tech team' and numerous times they have told me the same every time, which is that my connection and equipment seems fine. I have been with Virgin Media for over 3 years now and never had a problem since they rolled out the over-ambitious 200meg. 

This issue with the Valve servers needs fixing aswell as other problems regarding bad wifi reception and poor down and upload speeds, being told the same so called fixes and excuses all the time must stop! Virgin need to listen to the customers and fix the issues which I believe thousands across the UK are having with online gaming issues.

0 Kudos
Willir29
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor routing issues on Valve games.

Bump post!

Just been on the phone to the tech team for 45mins and apparently by the sounds of it Virgin are blaming Valves servers regarding the CSGO issues and told me to email or phone Valve.

The woman on the phone also told me that there is ongoing maintenance in the area which wont be solved until August 10th in the L36 area. Ridiculous! Apparently something to do with other customers in my area using the same line and they are working on giving every house there own line which should give all customers full speeds.

0 Kudos
aggellos
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

simple try other routing than virgins to prove it , if messing about with DNS seems like to much then try  Killping or something like it (they do a free trail) and see if the ping is better and connection stable.

0 Kudos
keasy
Up to speed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

DNS shouldn't affect in game latencies.

0 Kudos
aggellos
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yep it will only check the initial resolution, but it will spot issues with the DNS server chain that can cause initial disconnects and timeouts, but you're right the only way to really test it is to use a third party service to test alternative routing like I mentioned above, below is a decent tool for from GRC for DNS tweak and testing.

GRC DNS Tool

0 Kudos
keasy
Up to speed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Never seen that tool before, nice one!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Willir29,

Sorry to hear you're also having issues with CS:GO. There have been some known issues with servers in the EU causing problems with this intermittently for the last few months though this isn't necessarily with Valve themselves but rather one of the hops on the route to their servers.

As well as this you have an issue with contention in the area under ticket F003493363 which is currently due for review 10/08/16.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Willir29
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey thanks for the reply. 

I am aware that there is now issues in my area and was told the same over the phone by the tech team the same thing the other day after being on the phone for 45mins. The 10th August is a long time to be dealing with such issues. I understand that there is heavy traffic running through the line in my area and that they are working on giving out lines to each house which will eliminate the issue I have been having. Got told over the phone that I should then receive full speeds down my own line once it is finished. Never had an issue before 200meg VIVID rolled out, seems to be crippling most areas, what I don't understand is why roll out a false advertised service when Virgin know full well they would cause problems and that there lines aren't capable enough of handling such speeds?

As for the CS:GO issue, it seems that a hell of a lot of people are having the same problem, surely this can't be right. When I spoke to a member of the tech team they told me I had to contact Valve with the problem and that its there routing issues. Seems to be that Virgin Media & Valve are blaming each other.

0 Kudos
ed2903
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Where are you from may i ask? Me and several others from the Stockport area have been experiencing terrible spikes of high packet loss and have been trying to get virgin to get their **bleep** into gear for weeks. Our thread can be found here.

0 Kudos
flipflopper
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Also have the same issues. CSGO server we have in London and I get routed via Telia.net (some where in Sweden by all accounts) which adds 50ms to my ping and 10-20% packet loss continually. Been going on for weeks and I know of several others who play on same server with the same problems. It's a complete joke at this stage.

0 Kudos