Menu
gee3000
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Poor performance in CSGO

Hi

I've been experiencing poor performance on Counterstrike GO since switching to Virgin 2-3 years ago.

Speedtest.net always gives a B* rating and pingtest.net always shows 7-10ms jitter. I've tested this with wifi turned off and just my gaming pc wired in, and also in modem mode all without improvement. This applies to EU based matchmaking servers as well as UK based community servers. In-game ping looks fine (minimum 20ms) but it's noticeably laggier than it was in the past.

I switched to the "Gamer" package a couple months ago (changed account owner so got new Superhub 3.0) expecting better line quality but obviously not the case.

Please help!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
gee3000
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Poor performance in CSGO

Did a bit of reading around and the poor line quality (high jitter) is a known issue with Virgin throughout when compared to BT lines:

https://recombu.com/digital/article/virgin-media-still-the-superfast-est-openreach-fibre-more-steady...

Would have gone with BT if I knew this beforehand. The fact that Virgin sell a "Gamer" package with such **bleep** line quality is laughable and false advertising tbh. They think gaming relies on 200mbps and uncapped downloads?? Clowns >_>

For anyone else looking for answers thinking something is wrong with their line specifically and wasting time trying to get support - don't bother.

All Replies
gee3000
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Will I get a response to this?

samfisher87
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I´ve got the same problem and was thinking of getting the gamer package, but glad I havent if you say it didnt make any difference. Which I kinda knew it shouldnt, as 100mbit should be sufficent for gaming.

My ping is 30-50 and but its mpossible to have any precision in your aimingas the bullet registration is second after.

Seems to be a common issue with Virgin broadband

samikaz
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I was wondering the same.

I have the normal vivid 200 and was thinking to take the gamer version.

But as it doesn't make any difference I won't.

I am a bit surprised I don't get a better ping with my actual connection.

I think the issue is that there is too many path till we get out of there network. Wich mean that (for me) I am connected on Bristol but the only exit is in London. It also depends how many equipments on the path.

On a competitive game, I am struggling to have a ping under 40ms. It's usually 50 to 60 which not great. I am wondering if this could be escalalted to Engineering to see if it could be a way to decrease the latency.

samfisher87
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am based in London and still experiencing the same, average of 44 ping maybe. And as you say, something differently isnt right.

It kinda reminds me way back when I had internet over radio/satelitte frequency (this was not in the UK). The data/packets was sent back and forward to me and the ISP tower over wireless transfer, like a ball. When the "ball" was in motion and because of the distance, it was that that caused the delay.

I had 1 Mbit back then and experiencing what I´m experiencing now with Virgins 100 Mbit wired.

Is it just UK that has poor network quality overall?

0 Kudos
gee3000
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Did a bit of reading around and the poor line quality (high jitter) is a known issue with Virgin throughout when compared to BT lines:

https://recombu.com/digital/article/virgin-media-still-the-superfast-est-openreach-fibre-more-steady...

Would have gone with BT if I knew this beforehand. The fact that Virgin sell a "Gamer" package with such **bleep** line quality is laughable and false advertising tbh. They think gaming relies on 200mbps and uncapped downloads?? Clowns >_>

For anyone else looking for answers thinking something is wrong with their line specifically and wasting time trying to get support - don't bother.