Menu
Stevewils
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Poor internet PS4

Hi there

I experience poor latency when using Virgin broadband and my PS4. Unfortunately using a LAN cable has had little improvement either.

The impact is slow online gaming speeds and very laggy gameplay. For games like Fifa I am unable to play a match online without lag, and frequent disconnect from matches.

A frustrating overall experience!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Daniel182
Joining in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor internet PS4

I experience exactly the same. I get rare good connection during the early hours of the morning. Download speed is fantastic, but I my Ping is awful, this is from my PS4 and PC. 

I only get chance to game on the weekend and this is when it is at it's worst. Been using Pingtest.net to measure the Ping and the highest grade I get is B and that is 1 in 10 times.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stevewils

Welcome to the forum. I'm really sorry to hear of the problems you have been experiencing when playing online. I can see a lot of timeouts occurring on your connection when running a few checks so I'd like arrange an engineer visit via PM to look into this a bit further. Do these disconnections only happen on FIFA or is it the same with other games too?

Speak soon,

Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Paudeleke
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same problem as well with any online multiplayer game on my PS4. Most notably Fifa 16 and Black Ops 3 as I play them them the most.

0 Kudos
rickysanders
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Annoyingly I am having the problem recently too.

I have had my PS4 for 18 months and never had a problem with the internet.

One random day around December 14th i was getting lag on Call Of Duty which made it unplayable.

I know a bit about computers and I've tried every setting possible to resolve it to no avail.

It's now getting to a point where i am unable to join in with my mates... 4 calls into Virgin haven't gotten me anywhere.

Call 1) Changed a few settings - try that. No good.

Call 2) Problems in the area...

Call 3) Forwarded all ports (which i'd tried any way) no good.

Call 4) Problems in area and boosted my speed to 100 meg which hasn't worked.

Monday night i connected to my next door neighbours wifi (with permission) and it worked a charm. He is also on virgin media. Certainly can't be problems in the area!

0 Kudos
rickysanders
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just tried a ping test... D*?

0 Kudos
Daniel182
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am also having exactly the same issue. I've left it alone all week and done nothing to taxing on the Internet.

My Ping tests fluctuate from D* to B, but are mostly D*. I've also tried the solutions mentioned in the above comments.

Help!

0 Kudos
Stevewils
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A quick update to my original post.

Engineer visited today and has seemingly sorted the issue. Old splitter causing problems and replaced the hub to be sure.

Played Fifa and absolutely no lag.

Cheers Virgin!
0 Kudos
sytch4u
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

what are your ping test results now? what did he change splitter?

0 Kudos
Stevewils
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, havent run a ping test.

Engineer checked the splitter first and replaced it within minutes. The previous one was clearly due replacement; just age related. That would have been the cause (or main cause)

He then ran some diagnostics and saw an immediate improvement. Checked the router and replaced that too; to be sure everything was done.

He was here approx 45mins, turned up on time, talked me through everything and couldnt have been happier to help. Impressed.
0 Kudos