Menu
Sofa Bear
Sofa Bear
Message 23 of 118
Flag for a moderator

Playstation Network Issues

Updated
Hi

We are aware of an issue affecting some Virgin Media customers accessing PSN and we are working with Sony to investigate.

This is not due to a fault on Virgin Media’s network.

Thank you for your patience.

mikeh94
Just joined
Message 1 of 118
Flag for a moderator

PS4s Can't Find Network

Hi Guys,

2 of my PS4s can't find my network, however my PS4 Pro does. I've checked my router settings and found that 2.4ghz is enabled (this is a common solution). All other devices connect just fine. Any ideas what could have caused this to change overnight?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 118
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4s Can't Find Network

Sorry to hear about this mikeh94,

Have you tried Changing your Virgin Media Hub's wireless channel in order to potentially improve this type of connection?

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 118
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4s Can't Find Network

mikeh94 wrote:

Hi Guys,

2 of my PS4s can't find my network, however my PS4 Pro does. I've checked my router settings and found that 2.4ghz is enabled (this is a common solution). All other devices connect just fine. Any ideas what could have caused this to change overnight?

Thanks

A change overnight might be the hub picking a new channel for the 2.4Ghz band, if you have it set to "Auto" rather than a specific channel, or it could be a neighbour's wireless router changed the channel it is using and now overlaps your channel.

There is a good post on the Networking board about overlapping channels and how they can impact performance: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal/td-...

I know the PS4 Pro can use the less congested 5Ghz band so that might be the reason it can find the network OK.  The latest varients of the standard PS4 can handle 5Ghz but older models only support 2.4Ghz.

Wired is always best with consoles, so one option might be powerline adapters.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.  Some powerline adapter reviews here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/20-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

Another option, if you want to stick with wireless, is with a third party router.  It is what I and many other customers do and it can make a huge difference to wireless performance (although my consoles are connected via Ethernet).  They can also handle the routing of traffic better than the VM hubs when you have multiple consoles on your LAN all using the same ports.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Lighthorizon
Tuning in
Message 4 of 118
Flag for a moderator

PSN connection

For several hours now many and only Virgin Media users have had issues with playstation network not connecting! Playstation servers are online but have said on their website there is a connection issue in your area please contact your internet service provider and claim it is the responsibility of Virgin Media. My phone seems to have no problems with connectivity and the internet connection test on the ps4 says im connected to the internet but the sign in has however failed. A message also comes up saying something about server maintainance, I find myself confused, who is responsible PS4 or Virgin Media? When are we likely to see a fix?
Germ
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 118
Flag for a moderator

Re: PSN connection

Update would be appreciated at least acknowledgment that there is a problem.

luke999
Just joined
Message 6 of 118
Flag for a moderator

playstation network log in

cant log in on ps4 sony say its a problem with virgin media

0 Kudos
Kevrich19
Joining in
Message 7 of 118
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same problem in the Rotherham area but it does seam to be a problem with virgin as just used the PSN app on my phone using 4G and worked fine but as soon as I connect to the router I'm no longer able to access any PSN services.
0 Kudos
Weejah2
Settling in
Message 8 of 118
Flag for a moderator

Use Google dns settings on your ps4 and you can sign in to psn.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Garethg1984
Joining in
Message 9 of 118
Flag for a moderator

Psn

Does anyone know what sky or talk talk is like for ps4 gaming thanks
0 Kudos