Menu
Shooby337
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

PlayStation network issues via Virgin broadband

Hi
Last couple days I haven't been able to sign into the PlayStation network and receive error code 80710016. I've confirmed it's not a problem with the PlayStation network itself by signing in via a friend's broadband connection. So it appears that Virgin are blocking the port that is required for the PlayStation network. How can I fix this? Is there a way to remove the block list from the router?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: PlayStation network issues via Virgin broadband

VM do not block access to PSN.  You have proved that PSN is not down and that your account has not been restricted, so that suggests to me that Sony are blocking the IP address you currently have from VM.

All the evidence I have seen on PSN access issues and by extension issues with accessing the Ikea and eBay web sites (see HERE) have been caused by the blacklisting of IP addresses by Sony/Ikea/eBay and they all use Akamai's services to protect their networks so a block issued by one can impact all three and probably more sites.  The issue is regularly debated on the PSN forums from customers world wide, most of whom do not use VM.

The most likely reason for an IP address being blocked is that suspicious network activity has been detected on that IP.  Either you have been unlucky and got assigned an IP that was used and abused by somebody else before it was assigned to you (most common scenario), or something on your home network is misbehaving and triggering the ban e.g. malware on a PC that could be involved in a DDOS attack.  Always worth checking your kit for any virus or malware that could be responsible.

Your options are:

1. Get Sony to lift the ban.  Highly unlikely as their first line support staff usually just deny they are blocking because they don't have a script for that kind of issue.

2. Change your IP address.  The only guaranteed way to do that is to switch the hub from router mode to modem mode (or vice versa) as that will give you a different IP address.

3. Wait for the ban to be lifted.  Sony (or more likely Akamai) will only block an IP for a few days as they know they are shared IPs so never make them permanent bans.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Shooby337
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. How would I go about doing number 2 point of changing the ip? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Shooby337 wrote:

Thanks for the info. How would I go about doing number 2 point of changing the ip? 

Sorry, I forgot to provide a link to the modem mode help page which is HERE.  In modem mode you will only be able to use one wired device unless you attach your own third party router.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos