Menu
unbiased
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Pings in leeds

I will be moving to virgin in November from sky fibre and as a heavy games player I was wondering what sort of pings people get.
I'm currently on sky fibre and normally between 8 and 20 to uk servers, 40 to 50 overseas at most.
I'm in Leeds area, Middleton and virgin has just been installed over last couple of months.
Virgin rep assures me will be great ( as they always do no doubt) but just wondering what people on it had to say. I have my 28 days to change mind if needed and will stick with sky if no good but I prefer to be forewarned if any problems are to come.
0 Kudos
ohforf
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pings in leeds

May not be a fair test as I am also logged in to my work at the same time but I am getting 26ms at the moment in Armley

0 Kudos
unbiased
Dialled in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That's pretty good in all honesty, especially if logged in to other stuff like you said
0 Kudos
ohforf
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I don't play FPS games but never had a complaint with MMOs

0 Kudos
unbiased
Dialled in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

most i play are mmo's thats my main concern, play some fps games but not as much to be massively bothered about, just read that people were getting spikes etc on wow and was a bit concerned

0 Kudos
ohforf
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can't say I have ever had a noticeable spike in wow but like you have heard some people have. Just done another test without anyone else at home using the internet and have logged of work and I am getting 10ms ping. At 9pm I would say that's pretty good!!

0 Kudos
unbiased
Dialled in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

thats really good to be honest, lets hope i get around same kinda level

0 Kudos
unbiased
Dialled in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well i got installed yesterday, 200mb vivid, mixed sofar on the pings, general uk stuff seems to be good, between 10 and 20 on average, but a bit higher further afield, strangely to one server in southampton it was 167, but i think thats gotta be a glitch

And warcraft, ive gone up from 15-20 on sky fibre to 35-40 on virgin, not a major problem on an mmo game but still annoying its higher, but more to the point its hard to understand why

I understand ping is worse the further it travels but why would it be double skys?

0 Kudos
unbiased
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

guild wars 2 jumped up from 30ms to 60 also, if i find much more i may be reconsidering virgin, got 24 days left to decide lol

Anyone play guild wars 2 from leeds can you tell me what pings you get and on warcraft too?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

unbiased wrote:

I understand ping is worse the further it travels but why would it be double skys?

Different network architecture, different routing because it's a different network, different peering agreements, different technology (Docsis vs VDSL) so some additional delays in places. etc.

The number of downstream channels you have locked on the modem and the hub model can make a small difference too.

0 Kudos