Menu
Pdowen23
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Ping spikes every 30 seconds. Impossible to play online.

Recently moved into my student house that has 100 down with Virgin. One thing I noticed is that every 20-30 seconds the ping spikes by over 100 ms with obvious packet-loss. This makes playing online games pretty much impossible. I've searched through this forum and the issue actually comes up quite a bit but only seems to be resolved via an engineer coming out. I was wondering if anyone knows why it keeps spiking. I should note that I am on WiFi yet I have BT at home and do not get the same over WiFi so I very much doubt its my device. I also made sure it wasn't the game and just pinged the public Google DNS server, sure enough it would spike every 20-30 seconds. Some people suggested disabling the network card in my laptop from scanning for new connections every 30 seconds as this is known to cause jumps in ping. I did that but the spikes are still there. 

0 Kudos
Thimbleful
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping spikes every 30 seconds. Impossible to play online.

Are you on the Superhub 3? It's got inherent ping spike issues that need to be sorted out with firmware.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping spikes every 30 seconds. Impossible to play online.

Hello Pdowen23

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with intermittent high ping. We are not aware of any issues with the hub 3 that may cause it. There was a problem in the past with it when in modem only mode on some CMTS's but that is now fixed.

Your line and hub test good from here so most likely it is typical of a wireless issue, we do have some wireless guides that may help, perhaps try a channel change although to be honest we would always recommend a wired connection for gaming. If it is difficult to run a long Ethernet cable perhaps it is worth considering Powerline adaptors

Please keep us updated

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos