Menu
matt-h
Dialled in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ping spikes and packet loss Saturday evenings only Area 20 M33

Hi,

At roughly 830 pm for the last 2 Saturday evenings I have started to get an issue where I will suddenly get issues with packet loss and ping spikes to the point it makes playing on the xbox online impossible.  Issue is erratic and frustrating.

I spoke to support last week who seems sceptical from the start as connection was up and speed seems okay but he refreshed the signal to the hub and when noting changed said i

he would escalate to network and I would be called back. I've received no call and I'm suspecting I was fobbed off.  Issue went away from Sunday and I thought all was okay as throughout the week nothing has been wrong and issue had not happened again.

That changed at roughly 830 tonight where the same issue started to happen again. I've tested it using in game checkers and the network troubleshooter on console and issue was noticeable on and off all evening. Spoken again to Support who didn't seem to want to help as again speed okay and issue intermittent 

I'm pretty sure by tomorrow things will be okay again until next weekend where it will happened again. In all the time I've been with VM I've not had an issue like this so if anyone from VM on here could help I'd be very grateful. 

The console is wired directly to the hub and my only other devices are an STB and phone / tablet.  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping spikes and packet loss Saturday evenings only Area 20 M33

Hi matt-h

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear of the problems that you are experiencing when playing online around certain times.

Everything does look ok when checking your connection. No problems with the hub or your network segment. 

Is there any particular game that you notice these issues happening on?

It may be worth setting up a Thinkbroadband BQM graph, running it for a couple of days so it covers Saturday evening and posting the result back here. You will need to enable the hub to respond to ICMP echo requests which you can do in advanced settings, ping, in the hub GUI. 

Speak soon

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
matt-h
Dialled in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I've had one running since last Sunday evening when it happened for the second weekend running ..  Issue was only appearing on the sat/sun peak times and affected multiple games/servers etc and even general browsing was awkward.

had a few blips but nothing so far nothing major 

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/49c8a617034c08481e8a596e6caa8c6f-15-10-2015.html

snapshot from time of this post..

guess we'll see on the weekend. 

0 Kudos
matt-h
Dialled in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hey Ty

As suspected gets into peak time and it starts to crap out again. 3rd weekend in a row. As per notes on mybaccountbi think this needs escalating now eh

Snapshot as of time of post. Check the rhs of the graph

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/3b556195579d7cde7d3838f4ccf1dc26-17-10-2015.html

please note this is me just generally browsing and nothing else. Fed up with it now. 

0 Kudos
matt-h
Dialled in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
OokraMoO
Dialled in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Your graph is practically perfect compared to mine, I've had this for 6 months now

When my graph looks like yours (at 2-8am) is the only time I can play any games lol

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi matt-h,

Thanks for the update, I've just been checking your Hub and local network segment over the past few days and although the loading, as expected picks up of an evening (and midweek is no different to weekends in this respect), it not to any great extreme so the continued lag and ping spikes are a bit of a mystery.

I wonder if for diagnostic purposes it is worth trying modem mode to see if that makes a difference?

Let us know how you get on.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello OokramoO,

Thanks for posting though sorry to see you're also having latency problems, that TBB looks pretty poor in fairnessSmiley Sad

I'd like to run a few checks on your connection, however as you're not posting from your Virgin connection we're unable to locate your account.

If you'd like to bump us back here from your home connection with a few more details we'll gladly investigate further.

Kind Regards

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
matt-h
Dialled in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/edd1907a30ccb4df3968dc03bc418669-21-10-2015.html

Hi Ralph ,

Unfortunately modem mode isn't an option as of now. The above is a graph from last night and for some reading there's a huge blip around 11pm before it then settles down again. I agree it's very weird but it's only been an issue for a few weeks now and had been just on Saturday/Sunday nights. 

Winder whether her it's related to the upgrades going on as prior to then I'd never really noticed it. 

I have have been given a reference number , presumably from 2nd line via the offshore CSR on the phone , it is

i was told I'd get a phone call regarding the escalation to 2nd line? But as of time of post I've heard nothing. Least it's getting looked at sort of I guess. 

0 Kudos
matt-h
Dialled in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ralph_R wrote:

Hi matt-h,

Thanks for the update, I've just been checking your Hub and local network segment over the past few days and although the loading, as expected picks up of an evening (and midweek is no different to weekends in this respect), it not to any great extreme so the continued lag and ping spikes are a bit of a mystery.

I wonder if for diagnostic purposes it is worth trying modem mode to see if that makes a difference?

Let us know how you get on.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/160c5306059c326c7f441efe276b65ab-26-10-2015.html

Tonight's graph.  Two big bumps. Any further update regarding this? Especially as there were also 2 huge spikes of packet loss of 20% or so which hasn't happened before. 

0 Kudos