Menu
Rib1356
Tuning in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Ping issues

Hi

For the past couple of weeks now I have been experiencing issues with high ping. Especially around peak times, so gaming from 3pm-12am is unplayable.  The main game that I play is CS:GO so low ping is needed. Now there’s been a history with the UK having bad routing to the servers that are in Luxembourg. This, however, has since been resolved as shown by my friends achieving better ping whilst they’re on virgin as well. I am under the notion that the problem is my connection to the local exchange and was wondering if there could be an investigation into this theory.

The VM Superhub 2 is currently in Modem Mode connected to an Airport Extreme (not my choice). 

Please see the attached trace routes and ping tests. Will post a BQM when it has ran for a long enough period of time

Thanks

Ping.pngTracert.png

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping issues

Does the Airport Extreme have QoS enabled?

0 Kudos
Rib1356
Tuning in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

As far as I know it doesn't have any option for QoS and the issues are happening with any other devices. Such as an xbox1
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

You likely have another device at times download or upload which would cause ping to go high and buffer everything else so a QoS may help you with this.

0 Kudos
Rib1356
Tuning in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

BQM.png

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

It looks similar to what I have started experiencing too - However the server I'm playing on (Game is Battlefield 4) is located in London.

The route to the server according to tracert and other applications is taking me through Austria, Netherlands and Germany. Far from me to question the choice of routes but I'm not sure that this one is A the shortest or B the fastest route available to London from Manchester.

I've tried this on my domestic connection and a business connection.

The below is from the business connection. I will reply later with domestic connection results. I would be interested to know why this is being chosen as the best route however.

It's also worth noting that I have tested other IPs located in London, to which the route is better, not by many hops but the latency is almost 50% less.

BusinessRoute.PNG

0 Kudos
Rib1356
Tuning in
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

For if anyone who gets round to looking at this.

Friday

BQM1.png

Saturday

BQM2.png

Power levels

DownStream.pngUpstream.png

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Those BQMs don't look very good, have you been able to get through the technical support at the times affected? It's often useful when you're on the phone as you're having the issue(s).

During those peak times are you making use of any peer-to-peer services that you are aware of? They tend to saturate connections and unless you have a limit imposed they will generally use as much bandwidth as you have available.

0 Kudos
Rib1356
Tuning in
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I tried once and sadly the technical support were of no use as they just remotely restarted my internet and said to run a Speedtest. Which is pretty pointless because it only does a single ping check.. 

As far as I know there isn't any use of peer-to-peer services running.

0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Essentially the next step is escalating it through the complaints process. Or via OFCOM if you're not getting the service you need.

It is the only way to get the process in motion unfortunately and sometimes they will drag their heels.

0 Kudos