Menu
DavidCM
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ping in 45-60ms range for a year, normal?

So i have been getting ping in the 45-60ms range for a year now. I considered this relatively normal until some friends who also live in London, stated they get around 20ms with their providers on the same games.

I play a few blizzard games including overwatch and world of warcraft and i ran through their network guide (https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/718) and also ran pingplotter on the ip provided which shows an alarming jump of more than double with a high rate of packet loss on both games.

I also ran traceroute and it returns basically the same results. 

So what exactly is happening at ams2-ic-1-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net?

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

0 Kudos
DavidCM
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping in 45-60ms range for a year, normal?

Following this logic i tunnelled my connection through a london based proxy, but instead of adding another route and increasing my latency my ping actually went down to 24-30ms on average in all games. Whats going on here?

0 Kudos
arronlowley
Up to speed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

rubbish peering or routing is my guess, same is happening with me and battlefield 4, my bt connection gives me 10ms to a london server from leeds, my virgin connection is giving me 46ms, because the traceroute shows it goes out of the country before going to london, bt goes straight to london, its dumb.

im getting less ping to german servers than to uk ones, gg virgin.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
0 Kudos
squee666
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

i get the same, i love in Belfast wheni first signed up 3 years ago iw as getting about 20ms among all blizzard games.

after the speed upgrades hit over the last few years its been around the 40-60 mark

my MS to other games is still in the 20s

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hey DavidCM,

I'm really sorry to hear about the connection problems that you've been experiencing.

I've checked the equipment and there doesn't appear to be any issues detected there, however, I have spotted an issue with the network segment.

There is currently a high demand for our service in your area under the fault ticket reference of F003948570, with a review date of 14/09/2016.

I have passed this information on to another team who will contact you to discuss this further.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Many thanks,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos