Menu
CiaranGarden
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ping constantly spiking

This has been a problem that started about a year ago now. Before this time ping during games would stay at a solid 30 on EU servers and only fluctuate by maybe 4 or 5 but now its spiking so much anything online is unplayable. There is constant jumps from 30~40ping ish to 200~300+ ping and this happens about 10-15 times a minute. This results in extremely jittery character movements in games which almost look like micro freezes and then time is sped up to account for the lag. I'm fairly confident its not due to increased traffic in the house because it happens when I have nothing open other than the game and no one else in the household is using the internet. 

If anyone has any ideas about what to do I'd really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
devrandom
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping constantly spiking

Hey there,

I have a similar problem but my ping does not spike to 200. I have constant 50ms ping and 16% packet loss. My advice would be stating the game you're playing and possibly the server address that you're connecting. It's hard for network engineers to help without this information. You can also download this MTR tool and see your packet path but first you need to know which address you're connecting.

It also depends in whether you're connected with a cable or a wifi. For wifi, I wouldn't suggest it for gaming as 2.4 is too noisy and 5Ghz is getting noisier.

http://winmtr.net/

And here is my problem: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Constant-50-60ms-Latency-Towards-Valve-Servers/t...

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
CiaranGarden
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wifi or cable both have the problem. It's also not affecting one game, I notice it in many online games and the ping jitter shows up in online ping tests as well so I assume it must be a general internet problem.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hiya CiaranGarden,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to read that you are having high pings whilst gaming.

Looking at your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which can cause slow speeds/high pings/latency. The reference number is F004252742 and has a review date of 5th April 2017.

Do you notice these ping spikes at all times of the day of just during peak hours? 

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
CiaranGarden
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yeah it only usually occurs from about 4:30pm to midnight but considering thats 90% of the time I'm able to use the computer it really affects the quality of my service. I understand it could be related to high traffic but I didn't have the problem last year so something must've gone wrong nearby. Unfortunately, it means I can only play games stably early on in the weekend and not at all during the week. Thanks for the reply though Sam, Is there any way to improve this?

Ciaran
0 Kudos
CiaranGarden
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Also don't mean to be rude but looking at this reference number online comes up with a bunch of people in the same area with presumably the same problem... since early 2015. It's quite clear nothing is being done about it at all. Every reply to one of these threads has some kind of virgin staff posting a reply saying there's a fault with a review date but this review clearly just isn't happening. As you go through the threads every staff reply suggests a later and later date for this supposed "review". Its quite baffling how this has been a fault for coming on 2 years now with absolutely nothing being done about it. The service was absolutely stellar before early 2015 but something clearly went wrong and I don't see why it's taking so long to address.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi CiaranGarden, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see that fault ref F004252742 has been an issue for a while.

Particular fault reference opened in 2016 so perhaps there was a different issue in the area not connected to the cable you are on. Either way I can see that this must be very frustrating and I do apologise for that. 

These types of faults can have a long lead time because of the amount of work required to rectify the issue, this can be anything from laying new cables and adding new street furniture to building a new head end building.

This requires permissions and planning in advance - involving local Councils, Gas, Water, Electric, Highways Agency, local businesses to name but a few which can be the reason you see a longer lead time. 

I have popped the details across to the team that deal with this type of issue and they will contact you as soon as they can with some more information. As mentioned by Sam the current review date is 05/04/2017. 

I can see that your modem SNR is also a little on the low side so I will pop you a PM to see if we can get this corrected for you as it will not be helping your connection. 

Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner.

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos