Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 12 (402 Views)

Ping Spiking Constantly

Hello,

About two weeks ago, I started lagging very badly in online games. I've been running a broadband monitor at thinkbroadband and saw that my ping was spiking very high, and very frequently. However, the lag began to ease off, and the spikes began to become less frequent, but still very consistent. I compared the results to a friend's in a nearby area, and saw that, while my broadband had improved, it still wasn't nearly as clean it should be.

Over the last weekend, the lag came back. I checked my monitor today, and the ping spikes had become so frequent and high that it was less of a "spike" and more of a "wall".

This is my monitor from today, at time of writing.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a0cc936a91d541af567450ddfd07c1e18fae0728-08-05-2017

I'm at a bit of a loss on how to solve the issue. My devices are wired, and my download and upload speeds have been checked and usually seem to be normal. I've tried restarting the router, but it made no difference. I think I have an original SuperHub, or at the very least I haven't found any identifying marks that would say it's a SuperHub 2 or 3.

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 2 of 12 (390 Views)

Re: Ping Spiking Constantly

You have a super hub 1 in router mode so power it off and on or put it in modem mode with your own router to be stable.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12 (331 Views)

Hi Lainy29,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are experiencing issue with your broadband connection.

I've taken a look at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. 

Are you able to post some ping tests and trace routes for us to check over please?

Does it make a difference if you try modem mode?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 12 (311 Views)

I've tried powering off the router, which fixed the issue for a few hours, but before long the spikes have returned. It's not as bad as it was, but there is still definite spiking, and it's been gradually getting worse.

This is from when I powered off the router

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3b51a6478d365b77004e1ee34f86b32dcf...

And this is from just now

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8c8f692da6e72101eb9547b3d78f9d5fb6...

What do I need to do for trace routes?

I'm unable to try modem mode, as I do not have a second router.

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 5 of 12 (288 Views)

[ Edited ]

Lainy29 wrote:

I'm unable to try modem mode, as I do not have a second router.

Its not a requirement as you can connect a PC to the modem mode and get the WAN IP

Lainy29 wrote:

but there is still definite spiking, and it's been gradually getting worse.

Like I said your in router mode so reboot or use modem mode with or without a router.

note that if something does a download or upload on your upto bandwidth you will spike without your own QoS.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 12 (252 Views)

I've tried running the hub in modem mode three times now over three nights, but each time the monitors on thinkbroadband have given me no data. I have tried disabling firewalls and running new tests but each time the test has come back with nothing. The graphs have just been full red bars.

It's unfeasible for me to run in modem mode any more than that, as there are several internet users in the household, so I am unable to restrict the internet to a single machine. I can't really test whether or not modem mode is making any significant difference.

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 7 of 12 (235 Views)

Either use modem mode and get you own router or ask for a hub 3.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 8 of 12 (229 Views)

if you had a monitor on your hub and then you goto modem mode you will have to edit your monitor and change ip or make a new monitor.

changing to modem mode gives your router a different ip, this is why you see red bars because it's looking at the wrong ip.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 12 (218 Views)

ZiltoidRacer wrote:

if you had a monitor on your hub and then you goto modem mode you will have to edit your monitor and change ip or make a new monitor.

changing to modem mode gives your router a different ip, this is why you see red bars because it's looking at the wrong ip.

I know, I've done all that. Still the red bars.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 10 of 12 (171 Views)

So I've called Virgin Media about this issue that I'm having, and quite frankly, I'm appalled. The people I spoke to seemed to have no concept of what "ping" or "latency" were, but because my download speed appears fine, I'm apparently having no issues whatsoever, in spite of my Broadband monitors coming back with results like this fairly consistently for almost a month now.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b31ed0b3a5f2341ead017be9e9ef05d11a...

And because my Playstation 4 is my device I'm having issues on (because it's the device I use for online gaming, and thus requires low latency, and is connected via ethernet cable), I was passed to a "premium" service that had the operator attempting to charge for a troubleshoot on my PS4. I've taken my PS4 elsewhere, ran it on other people's internet and had absolutely no issues whatsoever. I've posted ping tests, ran my Superhub in modem mode three times and not been able to get any results (even though I set up new monitors on the new IP address).

I've had some replies from people on this forum offering ideas, but only one reply two weeks ago from the forum team, and have been ignored since then. If I can't get help here, and I can't get help calling customer support, quite frankly I'm at a loss of what to do. The only reason we're paying for the internet we have at the moment is for online gaming, and if it's not going to work anymore, should I simply cancel my subscription and look at other ISPs?

What should I do?

0 Kudos