Menu
Kuly01
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ping Spikes

The last couple of weeks I have noticed I am getting regular ping spikes while trying to play on game servers on steam. Specifically the game Rust is the game I am regularly trying to play at the moment. When I start in any server I get a normal average of 20 ping (using the ingame tool to display ping/fps etc.) then all of a sudden it will go to over 300 ping & sometimes as high as over 1000 ping !

This high ping is getting me kicked from my go to server where I have invested a lot of my playtime. I really need to get this sorted asap.

I have forwarded ports for both steam servers & also Rust specific ports.

Please help as it makes no difference when I play at peek times or off peek times.

0 Kudos
Kuly01
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping Spikes

So do I need to change ISP ? I have been a loyal virgin customer who has everything with virgin. Price keeps going up but quality going down ?
0 Kudos
Kuly01
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Help ?
I am using a superhub 2. Then wired connection to a netgear (From virgin) router from which I am connected to a wired connection to the PC.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kuly01,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to read you are having issues with ping spikes through Steam.

Are you able to try a connection direct to the Super Hub without the Netgear attached to see if that helps?

Can you post some trace routes and ping tests, for us to check over please?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Kuly01
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for posting

It is not practical for me to connect direct to the Superhub because my pc is upstairs & the Shub is downstairs. I am connected using Ethernet cable.
Ping test to a server I use gave me :-
Packets: Sent=78 Received=78, Lost=0(0% Loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum=216, Maximum=1515 ms , average = 833 ms

This ping is randomly high sometimes it is great at around 20 ms but can suddenly spike over 1000.
0 Kudos
Kuly01
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Additional

The ping was from this server is based in the UK address 108.61.116.84
0 Kudos