Menu
Ian_Bloomfield
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ping Spikes

Hi, I have been suffering for a while now with extreme ping spikes in the evening (usually 6pm+) seeing my ping go to 200-300+ at times, making gaming almost impossible. During the day my ping is usually stable around 20-30. I am able to constantly see the spiking in both CS:GO and teamspeak servers, so I know it is not just the connection to the server. I believe that when other devices in the house are used for video streaming that is causes some ping spikes, however since I am on the 120mbps package this shouldn't cause such extreme spikes? Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
Elliot1104
Joining in
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping Spikes

I've been having exactly the same problems almost every evening and night where my ping spikes to as high as 600 in some situations and makes games unplayable. On certain occasions my ping stays low but my download and upload speeds drop down to less than 100kbps making games again unplayable. I have found no way around it and virgin media haven't made an attempt to fix it in the last few months so I guess its sadly here to stay. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian_Bloomfield,

Welcome to our community and please accept my apologies for the connection issues you're experiencing.

I suspect that fault ref: F003580245 is the culprit, which requires a network upgrade to resolve. The progress of the pre-upgrade work will be reviewed on the 27th of this month, so we should have some further information at that time.

The effect of this will be reduced speeds and increased latency at peak times. Just in case we're missing something though would you mind providing a couple of speed test results and maybe setting up a BQM?

Post the output on here and I'll take another look. It would be helpful though if you could include speed results from when the connection is both good and not so good.

Also take a look at my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) which explains the credit options available to you.

Many thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Elliot1104,

Welcome to you too Smiley Happy

Apologies for your increased ping times, but I'm not able to find any cause. There is certainly no network capacity issue at play here and your Hub is reporting a healthy connection.

Are the devices affected by this connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet?

Please run a couple of speed tests so we can see the higher speeds compared to the reduced speeds.

If you can please set up a BQM so we can take a look at those pings.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply so we can commence investigating this for you Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Ian_Bloomfield
Joining in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Here is a BQM graph I have had running for the past few days, the spikes are always noticeable in the evenings

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/ab5d54c4358c125635b8d7c9deada1db-12-04-2016.html

Will post ping tests later on

BQM VM Graph.png

0 Kudos
Ian_Bloomfield
Joining in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

download speed img.png

Just did a speed test, think the results show how bad it is. Impossible to game at these times, and even video streaming or web browsing is significantly slower. It is like this every night which makes attempting to game a very frustrating task.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ian_Bloomfield wrote:

download speed img.png

Just did a speed test,

Wire or wireless?

0 Kudos
Ian_Bloomfield
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Wired

0 Kudos
Elliot1104
Joining in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I have since wired up to the router which has improved my download speeds but has still not solved the ping spikes. Is there a fix for this yet?
0 Kudos
b4z
Tuning in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I am experiencing exactly what you have described, and in exactly the same time-frames you are describing. So I am interested to follow this.

I have done pings/tracert/pingplotter tests to the various Valve Servers to check to see if the issue is along the way there.

I could provide my data if that helps.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/a2b1ef9cbaac5bb53bf6c088a1248f99-20-04-2016.html

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=146118801106300079597

I have 50mb package on a Superhub 2ac.

0 Kudos