Menu
madmonkeyrtu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ping Spikes whilst playing games Super Hub 2ac

Hi there,

I have been getting quite bad ping spikes whilst on my network for quite some time now, yes everything is on wi-fi but i did not have these issues beforehand. I am in the process of acquiring a powerline and massive ethernet cable to further test these problems.

Router has been reset, wifi channels changed and all the usual malarky. The people i have spoken to on the phone have said i should now post on here.

I primarily play destiny on ps4 and league of legends on pc, where i am experiencing teleporting players/enemies on the console (can't see the ping on ps4) and ping spikes in the 100s on pc. The internet speed on the 2g network drastically drops in speed, seen it at 10mb/s

I am using a Super Hub 2ac, so it isn't the problems that the superhub3 is causing.

I will post all the information in parts, as this message already reset once whilst i was trying to upload all the images.

Downstream].pngUpstream.png

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. The image contaned your WAN IP address. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
madmonkeyrtu
Tuning in
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping Spikes whilst playing games Super Hub 2ac

Broadband Quality Monitors

27/06 (the busy point at 8pm to 10pm was when four of us where trying to play jackbox on the ps4, some of them ended up using mobile data as it was quicker than the wifi)

My Broadband Ping - HOME VM 5G

26/06

25/06

24/06

23/06

0 Kudos
madmonkeyrtu
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Speedtests 2g, when this network is bad it caps at about 10mb/s. The only devices on this network usually are the ps4 and tablet.

2g network2g network

0 Kudos
madmonkeyrtu
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Speedtest 5g, majority of devices in household are on this network

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

madmonkeyrtu wrote:

Hi there,

I have been getting quite bad ping spikes whilst on my network for quite some time now, yes everything is on wi-fi but i did not have these issues beforehand. I am in the process of acquiring a powerline and massive ethernet cable to further test these problems.

WiFi has no guarantees of performance. It can be fine one moment and awful the next. Quite likely some more routers have gone online around you property or there's a source of high band interference in your vicinity now (your latter images mention 5G.) In my home I can't use 5G due to high band interference from an unknown source, it makes the 5G connection drop out and vary a lot in latency frequently.

Gaming wise it is best to have consoles connected via Ethernet in some fashion, so I have my consoles using Ethernet cables. I could use power lines (I have a set), but I prefer to run a long Ethernet cable from the room with the consoles to the hub in the front room using the following setup:

Superhub 2 AC / Superhub 2 <- long Ethernet cable -> Switch <- Ethernet cables-> Ps2, Ps2, Ps3, Ps4

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
madmonkeyrtu
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Traceroute to BBC

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.246.92]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * 2 ms <1 ms routerlogin.net [192.168.0.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 10 ms 11 ms 27 ms brhm-core-2a-xe-805-0.network.virginmedia.net [82.16.139.45]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 12 ms 11 ms 12 ms nrth-bb-1c-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.134]
6 23 ms 13 ms 13 ms tele-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.18]
7 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms pos6-1.rt0.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.239.237]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 31 ms 19 ms 20 ms ae0.er02.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.90]
10 21 ms 22 ms 20 ms 132.185.255.165
11 20 ms 18 ms 18 ms bbc-vip013.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.92]

Trace complete.

Let me know if you need anymore information and thank you

0 Kudos
madmonkeyrtu
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Yes unfortunately i do know the downfalls of wifi, but as i have far too many consoles (6 set up which get used, i use a pc and roomate uses a laptop)  ethernet is not exactly practical. Obvioulsy they aren't all used simultaneously though.

The issues happen on both the 2g and 5g network (PC is on 5g PS4 is 2g) and the local routers haven't changes, bthub5, sky router and netgear router with dual band.

The broadband quality monitor doesn't connect via wi-fi though and it seems to be showing alot of interference and the traceroute to BBC doesn't quite seem right either (though that is via 5g wi-fi).

once the required cables and plugs have arrived i will be testing the system again accordingly though, but that is not an ideal solution.

edit: I would also like to add with regards to the activity on the network, i am currently off work so have been home all the time playing games. Though there still seems to be alot of activity happening when i am asleep

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Yeap it's not the most practical, but out of all the laptops, desktops, game consoles etc I have only three devices use WiFi (two iPhones and an old laptop.) Having a switch allows you focus the Ethernet cable load in one area, then have fewer cables going elsewhere.

If you download a WiFi scanning app onto one of your laptop then move all around your home with it, checking the amount of networks popping, you'll get a much broader sense of what is around rather than just checking from one part of the home. For example, in the front room of my home if I run a WiFi scanner I pick up thirty-two 2.4GHz networks crowding together. If I do the scanning at the other end of the home I only pick up two 2.4GHz networks.

But a traditional WiFi scanner app won't tell you everything. It wouldn't list and help you locate general sources of 2.4GHz/5GHz interference, for that you need a specialized WiFi app+piece of hardware. That's not something I wanted to do personally, so I disabled the 5GHz on my hub as I don't rely on WiFi

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
madmonkeyrtu
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

oh wow 32 networks is quite alot, luckily i live in a lot more spread out neigbourhood it seems.

I used a wi-fi scanning app which shows i have 13-16 2g networks broadcasting in my area (depending on where i stand), it has also showned me which channels are the most congested so i will probably switch my 2g network over to the one it reccomends.

The 5g network there are only 2, mine and the netgear dual band. There is a third that appears very weakly if i stand at the front of the house.

madmonkeyrtu
Tuning in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone have any information with regards of the traceroute, broadband quality monitor and all the upstream downstream information?
Or are they as they should be?
0 Kudos