Menu
ECole93
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ping Regularly Touching 650 When Wired

Hey guys, 

I've hooked up an ethernet cable to my PC but occasionally get horrendous, game-breaking lag that can last anything from a few seconds to entire online gaming sessions, with seemingly nothing I can do. My ping has climbed as high as the 650 mark. And stayed there. This has been happening ever since I started gaming here on Saturday through to yesterday, seemingly at random. I've changed the ethernet port and restarted the router. 

Yesterday around midnight (far from peak time, not that peak time should give me 650 ping...) I was playing and just had to come offline after 10 minutes. There was nothing I could do. When I came off, I did a speedtest expecting something horrendous, but these were my results:

In other words, despite a slightly gimped upload, it really wasn't that bad. So why was my connection to the game so poor? 

I live in a flatshare with 5 other people, which may be the source of the problem. But even if all 5 were doing extremely extensive tasks at the same time, shouldn't I still be able to game in peace? Maybe some lag, but 650? 

My public IP is [MOD EDIT: Personal info removed]

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping Regularly Touching 650 When Wired

Hello ECole93

Welcome to the forum, so sorry you are suffering high ping attempting to game, we will do our best to help....

Your connection itself tests good from here, well done for using a wired connection! Silly thing but please check the device is using that and not still the wireless, I have seen that before lol.

I notice that Virgin Media Cable traffic management policy plays a factor with upstream usage suggesting that the other five people you mentioned may be contributing to your lag as your packets queue.

When you next have the lag perhaps try asking them nicely to switch their devices off to see if it improves, should make you popular Smiley Very Happy

If you still have an issue then, how about trying a traceroute to the game to see if that reveals anything?

Please keep us updated Smiley Happy

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
ECole93
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi again, 

My house's internet is pretty much broken at the moment. My ping has been fluctuating from perfect to 400+, only this time the 400+ ping lasts entire matches of my game. I would ring Virgin directly but it's in my landlord's name, and as I do not know our Virgin account number there doesn't seem to be any way to get through to customer service. 

What I'm asking is if you guys could take a look at what's happened to my internet over the last day or so (it's never perfect, but over the last 24 hours it's been consistently awful). It's worth mentioning I was pretty much restarting my router after every game today and nothing would fix it. My Speedtest results have been all over the place, too, so it's not a problem with the game directly but my Internet in general. 

This is urgent, as I'm not just using the Internet to download a film or watch YouTube. My Twitch streaming channel is exploding and I game competitively, so this is a genuine potential career change that my poor internet is hindering. When I finally had to give up and sign out today, my team were about to face a highly competitive opponent that we'd been practicing for. There were 1.2 thousand people watching the match live on Twitch.

Because of this, I really need this to be fixed as soon as possible. 

Thank you for any help you can give. I truly wish it was as simple as asking my flatmates to stop downloading during my matches, lol. As mentioned, I'd call directly but I don't know our account number. 

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi ECole93,

Sorry to hear your connection got particularly poor on Sunday. I've checked your connection and all the network data over the last couple of days and everything look totally normal here. Power levels all fine, no changes in contention or SNR levels. I did notice that your upstream usage was a lot busier on Sunday, perhaps due to the twitch stream. 

I can't find any issues whatsoever at this end. Could you try a traceroute to the games server for us to take a look at? 

Also I'd recommend upgrading to a higher package if you want to game and stream at the same time, the upload will be a bit strained with 5 users as well as two bandwidth hungry processes! I understand you're not the account holder so that advice isn't of much use to you but it would be worth having a chat with the landlord about the connection perhaps? 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
ECole93
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response. 

It's worth noting that it isn't usually me that streams my team's matches - it's my teammate. This was the case on Sunday. All I was trying to do was play, and all but one of my flatmates were out (the one who was in assured me that he was doing nothing on the internet). 

The problem has persisted. Last night I was streaming as my teammate was offline, and the internet was fine until about 11:30pm, when suddenly my ping went up to around 500 and I had to end the stream/stop playing. This wasn't a lagspike; once it went up, it wasn't coming back down.

The same thing happened yesterday (Monday) at about 2am when I wasn't streaming. 

In its current state, my internet is essentially broken. I can't rely on it it at all, seemingly at any point in the day. Is there any way we'd be able to arrange someone coming over to have a look at everything through this forum? I need it to be fixed before Sunday at the very latest, because, as mentioned, this is seriously damaging a gaming career that suddenly looks very realistic. 

Thanks again for your help. I'm completely desperate here. 

Emile. 

Edit: as far as I'm aware we're on the highest-tier unlimited package. If you know of any upgrades I can purchase, could you please send me a link? I've already told my landlord I will be happy to pay the difference, but he assured me we were on the best package we can get. 

0 Kudos
ECole93
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This just happened again. Suddenly, my ping hit ~500 and wouldn't go down. I'm unable to get hold of my landlord to find out my Virgin account number, as I've mentioned, so my only hope is you guys. 

Edit: I just did a Speedtest to see if it was just my connection to the game that was the issue. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1188395/Virgin.PNG

It definitely isn't. This needs to be fixed. 

Second edit:

Tested it again a few minutes after. What could be causing this? 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4592238204

0 Kudos
ECole93
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi ECole93,

I agree this needs to be fixed but I can't see what is wrong to fix it. Everything still looks perfectly fine from here. 

It's not going to be a popular move with your housemates but could you try the hub in modem mode? This will eliminate the other devices on the network, the hubs router functions and if you put your PC in safe mode with networking will eliminate any background software.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
ECole93
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The problem is that it does this when it wants to, so it's pretty much impossible to do as you described when it isn't working. Today my landlord informed me that he'd contacted Virgin and they'd made some changes to our stuff from their end. Everything was fine until about an hour ago, when suddenly my ping - surprise surprise - goes to 300. 

At this point, there were 600 people in my stream. I was due to be part of an invitational MLG Rocket League event, which will have been viewed live by thousands. A replay of the last one received hundreds of thousands of views on YouTube.

I just...can't exaggerate how important this is. My window is closing, and it's my internet's fault. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi ECole93,

I understand this is important to you but if we can't find a fault then there's nothing to fix. 

We're going to need to try modem mode and safe mode to narrow down where the cause lies. 

0 Kudos