Menu
Jack5
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ping Increase!

When I first got virgin media fiber optic internet everything was fine but recently my ping has been shooting up around 6 or 7 o'clock. I have contacted virgin media about this, they connected to my computer and done what you'd expect so they sent out an engineer. The engineer couldn't see any fault but he arrived at 8 o'clock in the morning when the issue only starts around 6:00 pm. Has anyone else experienced this with vigrin? If so what was the fix? I'm considering getting a different router.

Thank you for any response.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping Increase!

Hi Jack5,

Sorry to hear you're getting high latency in the evenings. Judging by the timing I would usually expect this to be contention in the area but looking at the area stats the contention does not breach thresholds.

Do you only see this latency is certain games? How are you connected to the hub? Wired or wireless? 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Jack5
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am connected to the hub via ethernet. There are two other desktops in the house, one connected wired and the other wireless and they have the same issue (although they are not used for gaming but I have tested them). It happen in any game I play. I also do a ping test at www.pingtest.net and it start to slowly increase around 6 o'clock and keeps rising. I have noticed there has been other people on these forums who are also from Liverpool who are having the same issue.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jack5

Thanks for getting back to us and confirming that. Everything looks ok when taking another look at your connection. 

It may be worth setting up a Thinkbroadband BQM graph, running it for a day or two and posting the result back here for us to have a look at. You will need to enable the hub to respond to ICMP echo requests which you can do in advanced settings, ping, in the hub GUI. 

Speak soon

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Jack5
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for getting back to me I will do those tests over the next couple of days and post the results.
0 Kudos
Jack5
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have done the tests you have asked me to do. The results are below:

03/12/15

Ping Test 1.png

04/12/15

Ping Test 2.png

As you can see Thursday was what usually happens, my ping increase around 6 or 7. On Friday that was unusual as it was okay through the night. Nothing was different in terms of devices connected to the router over the two days. Where do we go from here?

0 Kudos
Jack5
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I also done a test on Sunday as that is usually the worst day.

Ping Test Sunday.png

0 Kudos
Jack5
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: What Games Are You Playing?

I can't play anything at the moment due to Virgin's amazing ping at peak times. When is this going to be sorted out? There are too many of us having the same issue and the 'Virgin Team' on the forums just keep saying it is going to be reviewed. When is the review date? We shouldn't have to wait. We are paying for a service that doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Jack5

Thank you for setting up the BQM and posting the results.

Our engineers are investigating a problem in the area with exactly your symptoms, the fault reference is F003950783.

Please would you bring us up to date, is it still happening please?

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Jack5
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes the issue is still happening. I've seen in the forums there is going to a be a review date to sort the issue out as a lot of other people are having this issue. As you can imagine I'm not very happy with the service and the fact we have to wait for a date for it to be fixed rather than it being fixed straight away. We are paying for a service which isn't working, it really is unacceptable.
0 Kudos