Menu
eNxy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Peak time speed drop/usability FAO: John_G

Hi VM,

I am experiencing a drop in speeds and usability in the evenings over the last 3 days between the peak periods of 7pm through to 11pm. I apologise in advance if this should be in the "speed" section of the forums, but I thought this would be a more sensible place to put it due to the nature of use. Please move the thread accordingly.

As a fellow gamer, I am sure you understand this is highly noticable, and was wondering if you can have a look to make sure that everything is OK, because this has a pronounced effect on games such as CS:GO and Dota 2 where there are ongoing issues with Valve servers. I apologise for pinning this on you John_G, it is only because I have made contact with you in an old thread of mine and you are well known in the CS:GO Reddit scene!

I can tell you now that my power levels are all perfect, and the router is in absolutely perfect condition, therefore there must be something "back of house" causing these issues. Proof follows:

Downstream power levelsDownstream power levelsUpstream power levelsUpstream power levels7cad018087c9c5e36cd3678418b36995-02-02-2016.png60e537de578169d6f66c5508e11057fa-03-02-2016.pngb253fc83cd2b129b98f125dbc7775c7f-04-02-2016.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Re: Peak time speed drop/usability

Hi eNxy,

Thanks for seeking me out! Smiley Tongue 

I've checked your connection and agree there's nothing wrong at your end, power levels etc all show as healthy. The graphs you've posted show a green hump at around 10pm which usually indicates a problem deeper in the network.

Could you run a few traceroutes to different sites and one to the CS:GO server you play on and post them here for us to take a look at?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
eNxy
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Hi John_G,

Thanks for the reply.

The issues seem to have subsided for now, I am back to a reasonable 30ms on EUW servers on both Dota 2 and CS:GO. I provided a tracert in another part of the forums (here) but I think you may have missed it. Just for records, I'll put it here as well - this was done a few minutes before this thread was created so it was during the peak of the graphs.large.png

As I said before, it seems to have calmed down, but I am then concerned about overutilization , would you please check that out for me?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Hi eNxy,

Glad to hear it's calmed down. The trace looks fine, a little slower than usual, remaining at around 40ms. I've checked contention for you and it remains low and stable so nothing to worry about there.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
eNxy
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Another small issue - very minor, but possibly a larger issue round the corner. I thought I might as well carry on with an old thread instead of making a new one.

I noticed tonight my Pre-RS errors creeping up very quickly in a short space of time. I've attached a screenshot showing the tens/hundreds of thousands of errors in the space of 30 minutes. While there are 0 Post-RS errors (which is obviously the main thing), I'm just being a little forward thinking of a potential issue. Would you please have a check on it for me? As you can clearly see, no issues with power levels and noise, so a little concerned with the amount of errors the router has to correct.

Regards

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your vigilance eNxy Smiley Happy

If those Pre RS are only from being online for about 30 minutes it would indicate there's something going on. I've just checked your connection from here and the SNR in the area is looking a bit low. Not quite out of spec but if keeps trending downward it will be raised as an area fault. This has only started dropping in the last 12 hour or so so wouldn't explain the RS from Sunday but other than that your connection looks perfectly healthy.

I'll keep an eye on this for you and let you know if there's any development on the SNR front.

0 Kudos
eNxy
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Yes, please do keep an eye out for me, because whilst I understand pre-RS errors are nothing to worry about, I wouldn't like to have the router work overtime to fix 100,000 errors every half hour.

You are correct though, the last 12 hours have seen the error count up in the millions indicating something is happening but the broadband has been completely fine with no post-RS errors so I haven'tgone full tantrum yet.

0 Kudos
eNxy
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 56
Flag for a moderator

I think I may have spoken too soon, I can see what you mean about the the noise interference and dropping. I couldn't catch a screenshot but I caught it at a time where my signal to noise ratios dipped to 33/34 dB, causing a quick and sharp rise in pre-RS errors. Would you take a look into that for me?

Thanks John

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Hi eNxy,

33 - 34 is ok for SNR but it looks like it's still been dropping lower in the area. From around Tuesday afternoon it's averaged at just under 30 which is still within tolerance but not where I'd like it to be. I'll contact the area manager and see if there's something going on to cause this. Hopefully I'll hear back very soon with some information for you. 

0 Kudos
eNxy
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thank you, please keep me updated with any information.
0 Kudos