Menu
Hypah
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Packet loss when playing online gaming or watching anything.

Hi, I have been a virgin media customer for years now and have had a superhub for quite awhile. I use a laptop and online game regularly but lately I can't play anything properly as I would suffer packet loss, latency and frame drops. I've tried a number or things but no avail. I'm not extremely tech savvy but I would say my signal strength doesn't reach my room fairly well. I have tried to set up another router or even a wireless repeater but it made it worse. A number of months ago it was just fine to play online I suffered very little loss and I was quite happy to play wherever in the house.

I have also tried to connect an Ethernet cable to my laptop or run it in modem mode and I still had a loss, sometimes it froze or cut out connection completely. Could other people's WiFi signals be overlapping my own since I can pick up about 9 other networks but 30 are around 70% strength? Otherwise I really don't know what my problem is and I'm starting to lose hope in ever playing anything again. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet loss when playing online gaming or watching anything.

Hi Hypah

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing when trying to game online.

Thanks also for testing wired and in modem mode. Using a wired connection for gaming is definitely the recommended option as wireless is susceptible to many forms of interference.

When testing your connection there are power level issues showing that would affect your service. The first thing we will need to do is arrange an engineer visit to get these adjusted.

I will drop you a private message (red envelope, top left corner) to arrange this.

Speak soon

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
false
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

I was wondering about moving to VM, but I need a stable ping as well... what is your internet connection please? And your London area?

Thanks Smiley Happy))
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Gaming needs consistent speeds and low latency/pings.

This really rules out WiFi connections, particularly since games consoles do not have very good wireless hardware. 

0 Kudos