Menu
km11acf
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Packet Loss on wifi and powerline

Hi,

So i have been on virgin for 18 months now and have constantly had issues on the wifi in my room. 3 bed house so not a massive house to have wifi issues.

I have since used tp-link powerline adapters to 1) extend the wireless reach and 2) enable myself to have "wired" connection to my ps4. 

Now over the past couple weeks, as renewal is coming up, i have been researching and running tests on my connection and I have the following results:

- wireless to router: 5% packet loss

- wireless to powerline extender: 8% packet loss

- wired to powerline: 4% packet loss

Is this a virgin problem? or is this a problem i would have no matter what provider? if so, what are the best ways to get a good connection to my room?

0 Kudos
Nickoey
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet Loss on wifi and powerline

I have been onto Virgin for about the 10th time today seems like there are a few people getting packet loss. I have had an engineer out and everything was fine (he adjusted my power levels but nothing major). Any way this changed nothing was still getting packet loss last week making online unplayable. It has started again today and a few people on here are suffering the same 15-20% packet loss. Called Virgin and they are sending out the engineer for the third time although there are many of us suffering the same issue at the same time it seems unlikely to be anything local especially seeing as I have had a replacement router checked it on 3 PC, 2 Xbox Ones and even tried the new router in Modem mode still getting packet loss. I know it wont last all day so I have posted my BQM graph to show its intermittent. I am starting to look at alternative suppliers now.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi km11acf,

So sorry for the wireless issues you've been encountering.

To be honest there are many environmental factors to consider with regards to a wireless signal. It may be that your house has very deep internal walls, or maybe they're modern with a reflective coating. Either way this would serve to disrupt your wireless signal. My home has only 3 bedrooms but the 3rd is an extension and furthest away from my router - I have no end of problems with it and I'm with a rival ISP (though not by choice).

I'd like you take a look at the following help articles please:
Getting the best wireless network signal.

How fast is wireless?

Should I use a wireless or wired connection?

Top tips for best Powerline performance.

I should mention that there is an issue with capacity on this part of the network, ref: F004243412, for which a network upgrade is planned. We should have more information on this on 29-06-2016. But this will certainly impact on speed/performance at peak times, so it's worth you noting if the packet loss you mention occurs at any specific time of day/night.

I'd also encourage you to run both a ping test & traceroute (to bbc.co.uk will suffice) and to post the output on here. This will help us to identify if there is any packet loss on the network itself or if it's confined to the local connection.

Finally, please take a look at my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) which details your credit options whilst fault F004243412 is ongoing.

Many thanks, and welcome to our Community, hope you find us helpful Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

km11acf
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the response. This is really helpful, I will also respond to your PM as I have a few questions.

Here are the traceroute and ping run as of 7.23pm (12.04.16)

ping.JPGtracert.JPG

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi km11acf,

Thanks for the traceroute/ping tests.

The one to the Virgin Media site can be disregarded as that's not responding to ICMP packets.

I get the same result:

Pinging www.virginmedia.com [62.254.123.91] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 62.254.123.91:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

The ping test to bbc.co.uk though reveals no packet loss whatsoever. 
Might be worth repeating that test at different times of day to see if those figures change at all.
I've also replied to your PM Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nickoey,

Apologies that you too are experiencing packet loss.

Initial tests of your connection reveal nothing untoward - SNR (signal to noise ratio) is stable, there are no errors on the upstream segment and no capacity related problems.

It would be useful, from an investigative point of view, to have a visual of what's happening.

Would you do me a favour please and set up a BQM and post the results on here?

A ping test to bbc.co.uk, as km11acf has done, would also be great.

I'll then see if that data provides some 'evidence' that our tests are unable to pick up.

Many thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
km11acf
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Does the traceroute tell you anything, are there any issues within this? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi km11acf,

Traceroutes can be misleading, as the intermediate routers on each hop may decline ICMP packets thus resulting in the 'Request timed out' message. In an ideal situation the ping test will display packet loss and the traceroute would indicate where on the network the loss was occurring.

Setting up a BQM to monitor pings/packet loss is probably the best way forward with this. 

Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos