Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22 (438 Views)

Packet Loss issue

Hi there,
I used to have no issues with Rocket League on my connection but now it has been almost 2 weeks that I experience packet loss spikes. Also, it started sporadically but now it seems to happens every 6-7 seconds during a match. My ping is good and generally the game is smooth but these random spikes are ruining my online reputation. Please help.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superfast
Message 6 of 22 (674 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Nothing
‎27-04-2017 09:13

Re: Packet Loss issue

Ok, so if it's happening wholesale regardless of connection method then it points to it being outside of your home network.

It would be worth getting a technical support rep to check the connection from their side to yours, it would identify any signal issues or a noisy line pretty quickly.

Did you manage to get the BQM set up over at thinkbroadband.com? That can also help troubleshoot and it's over a 24hr period so will show problem times if there are any.

Are you able to test with any other online games other than rocket league? I personally have specific issues that I'm trying to get an answer on in this thread. Feel free to have a look at the tests I've done and if you want a quick guide to test then just ask.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Superfast
Message 2 of 22 (431 Views)

Can you provide us with a little more information about your setup. This should include how you connect your devices, contention across the household, Broadband Quality Monitors from thinkbroadband.com to highlight any potential external issues and what steps if any you have tried to resolve the issue since discovery.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22 (417 Views)

Hi there, stormfury2. Thanks for your answer.
I use a wireless connection and had used it since I have started with Virgin about 4 months ago. My download speed is usually around 13/14mb per second.

There are no sources of interference in my household around my Virgin Router, for what I can see.

I have played on this setup since the very start and never experienced this sort of packet loss before.

In details, when I play Rocket League my ping is always stable on a very good 27/30 but about every 10 seconds the red "connection error" triangle appears top-right and I experience heavy rubberbanding for a couple of seconds, disrupting the game. Ping doesn't change at all. 
I have tried doing some data packets tests pinging Google.com and it shows that there are certain spikes in packet loss, coherently with the timing of the issue on Rocket League.

I'll try and check the thinkbroadband.com stuff tonight when I'm back home from work.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 4 of 22 (410 Views)

Cycle the SH's power or log in to the web interface and reboot it using that. It might clear up a few things and not need any further troubleshooting. I would personally connect directly using a network cable and run a speed test from dslreports.com/speedtest it gives you a lot more information than other tests out there.

Tuning in
Message 5 of 22 (385 Views)

So, this is my DLS reports card.

I have also tried playing with cabled connection and also tried to reset my router.
Oddly enough with a cabled connection the rubber-banding in game has doubled, happening almost constantly!

This is disheartening 

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 22 (675 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Nothing
‎27-04-2017 09:13

Ok, so if it's happening wholesale regardless of connection method then it points to it being outside of your home network.

It would be worth getting a technical support rep to check the connection from their side to yours, it would identify any signal issues or a noisy line pretty quickly.

Did you manage to get the BQM set up over at thinkbroadband.com? That can also help troubleshoot and it's over a 24hr period so will show problem times if there are any.

Are you able to test with any other online games other than rocket league? I personally have specific issues that I'm trying to get an answer on in this thread. Feel free to have a look at the tests I've done and if you want a quick guide to test then just ask.

Tuning in
Message 7 of 22 (336 Views)

Thanks for your answer.
Yes, i have set up the monitor at thinkbroadband.com, I'll post the results tonight.
At the moment the issue is also affecting my daily browsing, and seems to get only worst in frequency. I'll try and contact virgin. Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22 (298 Views)

And here's the monitor I set up. Not sure if I'm reading this correctly but it kinda look fragmented, doesn't it?

Cece5b53edd81d17aa91f5dd473651f9-27-04-2017

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 22 (273 Views)

Don't suppose you're in Glasgow (Area 28)?

My thread with exactly the same BQM:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Rubberbanding-and-lag-spikes/td-p/3406598

Second thread with 4 of us in the same boat:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/40-Packet-Loss-Large-ping-spikes-since-neighbour-install/t...

Some are reporting in the second link I posted the estimated fix is Thu 4th May.

Tuning in
Message 10 of 22 (269 Views)

Yep. Same area.
Apparently it's a know issue with the superhub 3 as it says here http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/03/virgin-media-prep-firmware-fix-superhub-3-latency-packe...

Guess we'll have to wait for a firmware update then...
0 Kudos