Menu
kirkleburger
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

PSN. Inconsistent and dreadful speeds.

I have XL fibre broadband.

speedtest.org returns 150+ MB speeds.

I have a PS4. Regularly i am unable to connect to PSN servers - and times when i can, its a max download speed of <20MB.

I had a replacement router sent by Jen_A as my *old* router (a Superhub 2) kept locking up the 5GHz channel.

I now have a Superhub 2ac. 

I am aware that the PS4 will only work on the 2.4Ghz channel.

I initially setup port forwarding for my PS4 and assigned it a static IP. This did not help.

I then removed port forwarding and placed the PS4, still with static IP in the router's DMZ and enabled that. This also did not help.

I'd like to understand why this is happening. 

My PS4 always gets assigned an IP - so its not a problem with the ariel on the PS4 - i have in the past had great speeds.

Almost a month ago when i got the 2ac the line kept disconnecting. I had an engineer booked but it magically seemed to stabilise and i cancelled the engineer.

I am now unable to get any assistance as there line 'seems fine'

Can anyone help please?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: PSN. Inconsistent and dreadful speeds.

The issue maybe because the wireless connection is unstable, you could prove or disprove this by trying the PS4 with an Ethernet cable connection to see if that makes any difference.  Most gamers on here would recommend a wired connection anyway for stability and less lag.

Also the Sony PS3/PS4 speed tests are notoriously slow and not representative of your line speed.  My PS4 never shows speeds above 70Mbps when my PC is showing speed results of 200Mbps.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have had NO problems with PS3 / PS4 / PSVita and PSN. Yes Sonys backend network is crap, but is getting better.

But then again I run my SH2AC in modem mode, with my own router. This works for me, but is not the answer for everyone.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
kirkleburger
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Agreed, just not so keen in forking out ££ for a separate router Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

kirkleburger wrote:

Agreed, just not so keen in forking out ££ for a separate router Smiley Wink

I understand that, but 95% of your VM problems will go away overnight.

--
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
0 Kudos
kirkleburger
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wired works fine.

Wireless (in general) is pap - streaming to tablets also dreadful.

I blame the router aspect of the VM Hub.

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

kirkleburger wrote:

Wired works fine.

Wireless (in general) is pap - streaming to tablets also dreadful.

I blame the router aspect of the VM Hub.

I agree. The SH was designed as a One stop fix for the clueless public. But for the ones that do know how to setup there own network. Modem mode is the best a way.

--
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi kirklegurger,

Nice to see you again, though apologies for the Ps4 issues. To be honest I would reiterate the advice already offered on this thread - using a wired connection is always preferable for gaming. And enabling modem mode whilst using a router of your choice is another option. 

I have tested your connection and note a few minor network errors from the 16th - 19th but I doubt this would have impacted on your connection. All is clear now, so nothing to fix from this end.

If you do opt for the modem mode option please let us know how you get on and sorry that I can't do more to help.

Take care, 

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos