Menu
LoveSpuds
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

PSN. Do I need a new IP Address

Hi there,

a few days ago my ability to login to any Sony related site was restricted, in particular I cannot login to PlayStation Network through my PS4 and while I can visit PlayStation related websites, if I click a login hyperlink the webpage simply hangs before timing out, so I am blocked from login in here too.  This is the case whether I use my PS4, PC, phone or tablet to attempt to login using my home connection. I can visit any other website on these devices and can use my XBOX1 with no issues.

I visited these same Playstation sites in work today and could log in with no issues whatsoever.

I have spent 2 whole evenings trying to remedy this, resetting both my PS4 console and the Hub to default settings (not that I had changed them anyway) all to no avail.  To cut a long story short I found a forum discussion where a chap was experiencing similar issues and he discovered his IP had been blacklisted.

Advice was offered to check the status of your IP address on 'whatismyip.com'.  I have done this and sure enough, my IP address comes up as blacklisted on 8 different registers, I have run a virus scan and found a damn adware program running which has been secured, frustrating as I am very careful and have a virus scanner running at all times.

I have strong suspicions that one of these 8 registers is used by Sony and as a result any attempt to log in from this IP address, no matter what device I use, will be blocked which leaves me up a creek without a paddle.  If I use my phone to login using my mobile connection (instead of wifi) it works and as I said I signed in from work today with no problems.  Only when attempting using my home connection do I experience problems.

Is it possible to provide a new IP address remotely, I am getting desperate as I have been going around in circles for days, I know very little about networking but this is the only cause I can think of.

Apologies for the length of the post, I sure hope you can offer some guidance!

Thanks

Daz

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
tiltonarmy40
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: PSN. Do I need a new IP Address

My Psn back up working for now 12 days down never find out who it was still seems to be sorted now
0 Kudos

All Replies
tiltonarmy40
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've got same issues as you alot of people on Psn down complaining as well seems a lot of virgin media people having issues I phoned Psn there blaming vm so I phoned vm there blaming Psn that there security prolexic banning certain ip addresses mine yours and prob thousands ov others vm said to me go to a pals or relative who have vm he guaranteed it wouldn't connect so I took to my moms it connected straight away to there internet and Psn servers so to me its a vm issue problem is no ones taking ownership ov problem obv to where's there blame there's a claim for compo I've been offline 10 days I did connect for six hours then off since then ???????
0 Kudos
tiltonarmy40
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi do test again if prolexic was one on blacklist there used by Sony security
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi LoveSpuds,

I'm sorry to hear you're unable to access any PSN services at the moment.  We're looking into what could be causing issues, in the meantime could you let me know if you're able to connect to any PSN services if you switch your hub to modem mode please?

Modem mode will assign a different IP address, so if the IP address is the problem then modem mode should work perfectly.  If it doesn't work, or only works for a brief period of time it may not just be the IP address causing a problem.  If you could let me know when you've been able to try that, I'll get the information passed across for the investigation.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
LoveSpuds
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kev,

Thankyou very much for taking the time to help me.  Its the strangest thing, I changed nothing with regards to my settings and so on and just before I went to bed around 12 last night I thought 'give it one more try' and sure enough, the PS4 logged straight in.  I then tried logging into a PlayStation website on my tablet and that worked too.

To be honest I thought maybe Virgin had done something to my connection or something.  I tried again this morning and have been using it this evening with no issues at all.  I am honestly at a loss, as quickly as the problem started it has gone away, not that I am complaining Smiley Happy

Thanks again for offering to help, much appreciated Kev, not too keen on buggering about with settings while its all working Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi LoveSpuds,

That's understandable, I appreciate you coming back and updating me on the latest progress.

We are investigating to find out what's going on, so by all means let me know if the problem returns as we're doing all we can to find out what's gone wrong and where.

Fingers crossed it all stays up and running for you now.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
tiltonarmy40
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Im still having issues 10 days unable to connect to Psn network I'm in b25 area never had any issues connecting to Psn before until now my sons on holidays no Psn phoned every body connected to Psn and virgin done all tests opening ports at vm Psn works fine at my moms house who lives 10 min away so it all points to my internet where problem lies which I'm a paying customer somethings changed within a fortnight of my son happily playing Psn now not even able to sign in getting nowhere fast
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi tiltonarmy40,

I'm sorry for the ongoing problems, could you try the connection in modem mode please, I need to know if this is making a difference to help to get to the bottom of things.  It does seem to be working in some cases, obviously it's not a permanent fix but would be good if you could try it out and let me know.

Kev

0 Kudos
LoveSpuds
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello again, all is well still for me but I forgot to mention something that might provide a clue for Kev and the trouble shooting.

Throughout the whole 4 days I was experiencing problems my son was able to connect on his PS4.  The only difference between his connection and mine was that he was connected to the hub through a powerline.  I dont know if this makes any difference to ip addresses etc, as I said, I am a complete duffer when it comes to networking etc.

As I said, I dont know if this is relevant but thought I would drop a line incase it offers a clue for the Virgin tech guys.  Good luck to those affected, this was really frustrating. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi LoveSpuds,

Thanks for the info, the IP address from the hub would be the same for whatever's connected to it.  Thanks for letting us know that, it does make the possibility of this being strictly relating to IP addresses a little more unlikely.

Kev

0 Kudos