Menu
avidman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

PS4 online gaming problems

Hopefully someone can help, we're long time Virgin Media users in this house, ever since the days of Telewest! Since getting a PS4 for Christmas, I've found the online gameplay is awful, huge amounts of lag making games like Rocket league and Star Wars Battlefront unplayable. We should have 150mb broadband, so we have one of the top packages, but really struggling to actually use what we have.

Not sure if the the fact we have the original super hub is the problem, as we generally get average to poor WiFi round the house.

Can someone please give some help and guidance and check our connection info?

Thanks very much.
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 online gaming problems

The PS4 / PSN has been bad since last summer when VM rolled a Firmware update when the SH is in Router Mode.
But if you go Modem Mode and get your own Router, it will be a whole lot better.

I have been playing great in on PS3 / PS4 / PSvita when in modem mode.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
avidman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, unfortunately tried this before with an Asus ac56u router and the super hub in modem mode, but if anything it was worse, maybe due to it being the original super hub, could be some problems with it?

Can someone at Virgin Media please check my power levels etc and tell me if you can see anything wrong your end?
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
rm15427
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not sure why you have th eoriginal hub.

I switched to 150mb and VM shipped me a new hub

Try using http://www.speedtest.net/ to see what you are getting down the pipe

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Avidman,

I've checked your connection and everything looks healthy from here. Your power levels, SNR and area contention are all fine. Do you get the same lag when connected via ethernet? This could be down to poor wireless and I'd always advise any online gaming be done over a wired connection whenever possible. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Richiev6
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tbh I would like to see if the Ethernet connection fixes it. I am due to change provider (from BT) very shortly but won't be coming to VM if my PS4 lags a lot.
0 Kudos
avidman
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to update you that a new superhub 2ac fixed all my problems, although we briefly had to put it into modem only mode then out again you get decent speeds. I'm now able to game perfectly with no lag whatsoever on black ops 3, rocket league, star wars battlefront.

On reflection I'm just annoyed I paid £20 for the super hub when the old one was the cause of the problems, and thus should've been replaced for free due to faulty equipment.

0 Kudos
avidman
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Furthermore I neglected to say that this is using WiFi not Ethernet I get this good connection, Ethernet connection is great also.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear it Avidman,

If you do get any more issues just give us a shout Smiley Happy

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos