Menu
Swampey97
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

PS4 disconnects me from PSN when idle

I've noticed this many times, if I am not constantly interacting with my PS4, it will be disconnected from PSN, for example, if I invite a friend to a party, but I'm idle waiting for them, the party will disconnect after only a few minutes

Likewise, just now I was playing a solo game of CoD BO3 Zombies, which, despite being a solo game, still uses online features, and therefore, must be connected to PSN to work, however, I paused my game (thereby going idle) and after only 5 seconds I was disconnected from PSN, that cant be a coincidence, I know that if I kept playing, that problem wouldn't have happened

So why does Virgin kick me from the online if I'm idle? It shouldnt do it at all, never mind for a mere 5 seconds

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 disconnects me from PSN when idle

I've never heard of a disconnect, only when a console is idle, nor has Google as far as I can tell.  Is it just the PS4 disconnecting, no other devices dropping their Internet connection at the same time?

Is the PS4 connected to the hub via wireless or Ethernet cable?

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Swampey97
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Connected via Ethernet and Power Line adaptor, not just the PS4 that disconnects, but it only seems to DC when idle, like when I pause the game

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The other devices that are disconnecting at the same time, are they wired or wireless and do they connect via the powerline adapter or direct to the hub?

I'd suggest trying things without the powerline adapter as a diagnostic test. They are great devices but they can go wrong and although less prone to interference than wireless they are not as bulletproof as a direct Ethernet connection.  For example some phone chargers can cause issues with powerline adapters.

If directly connected devices are disconnecting then that suggests a possible line issue and some hub stats would be useful. If you go to http://192.168.100.1/ to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screen shots if that is easier.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take up to a week) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos