Menu
markovts
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

PS4 disconnecting from party chat, games, etc.

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem to me that they might be able to shed any light on.

I have a superhub2 and I have recently bought a ps4, and can connect to PSN fine, although i randomly get disconnected or cut off from games, party chats, lobby's, etc.

I have my ps4 assigned a static IP Address, and have set up port forwarding on the ports relevant to PSN.

My NAT was still type 2(moderate), which is probably part of the problem - as i'd imagine it should be type 1 (open).

I put the ps4 into the DMZ to completely bypass the need for port forwarding, firewalls, etc - and it still gives me type 2. I even disabled the firewall on the router to see what happens, and it's still the same.

If i put the superhub into modem mode, and only have my ps4 connected to the modem port, it works perfectly and gives me type1.

I'm currently waiting on virgin sending me out a superhub3 for another (possibly unrelated) issue - but is there any reason why putting the ps4 into the DMZ, or doing the correct port forwarding wouldn't give me open ports?

At the moment, I've set it to modem mode, and currently using a netgear router for my wifi - although that is also doing the same thing and giving me type 2!

If we test the ports i've forwarded, they still show as blocked and not open - surely testing these ports should kick them in to opening?

Anyone got any ideas / suggestions Smiley Happy

thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
markovts
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 disconnecting from party chat, games, etc.

should have said, my ps4 is wired, not wireless, although i have tried it wireless and it makes no difference.
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes simple answer.

The SH is a rubbish router for consoles / gaming. It just does not have the computing power.
Its designed as a one stop fix for customers who know nothing about home networks.

I have been running my SH2AC in modem mode since it came out, connected to a ASUS RT-N66U router.
I game on PS3/PS4/XBOX1 and PC, and I have NO NAT problems, and disconnections.
MY PC is wired, and by PS4 is wireless.

My Previous Post re Gaming on VM

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark

I have had my PS3 & PS4 working just fine with NAT type 2 for years so I don't think that is causing the disconnects. If it is still happening when the hub is in modem mode then that rules out poor routing by the hub causing the problem as your Netgear would have been doing the routing. You could try connecting the PS4 directly to the hub in modem mode to rule out your Netgear router as an issue.

It may be that your possibly unrelated issue is related, but impossible to tell without knowing what that issue is.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

NAT type 2 will work fine with my ps4 on hub 3 in router mode no editing for open port forwarding which is a good sign i have a no problem router.

but this can be the power levels the ideal running range is 1 to 10 Power (dBmV) if the rest of the stuff does the same it can be a t4 error which can effect your game play you should post your logs from the router you do not need to login in to see the power levels and other stuff http://192.168.0.1/ then Check router status. or it can be a area problem or playstation network problems

Using VIVID 200 Gamer Optical Fibre, Full House TV, Talk More Anytime

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
markovts
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

RedGooner wrote:

Yes simple answer.

The SH is a rubbish router for consoles / gaming. It just does not have the computing power.
Its designed as a one stop fix for customers who know nothing about home networks.

I have been running my SH2AC in modem mode since it came out, connected to a ASUS RT-N66U router.
I game on PS3/PS4/XBOX1 and PC, and I have NO NAT problems, and disconnections.
MY PC is wired, and by PS4 is wireless.

My Previous Post re Gaming on VM

I have never had any problems with my xbox one in the past with the exact same superhub with the correct ports forwarded - although mind you, i havent played it for about 10 months so not sure if it will start having issue's like the ps4 is.

SCA1972 wrote:

Hi Mark

I have had my PS3 & PS4 working just fine with NAT type 2 for years so I don't think that is causing the disconnects. If it is still happening when the hub is in modem mode then that rules out poor routing by the hub causing the problem as your Netgear would have been doing the routing. You could try connecting the PS4 directly to the hub in modem mode to rule out your Netgear router as an issue.

It may be that your possibly unrelated issue is related, but impossible to tell without knowing what that issue is.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

I don't get the problem when my superhub is in modem mode and only my ps4 is connected directly to it. at the moment my SH in modem mode and currently have the netgear n300 connected to it doing the routing for me and I actually got a specific error after getting kicked out of a party last night due to my nat settings - which is still currently type 2.

I'll wait until i get this new SH3 tomorrow and see what the deal is once it's setup.

DavidJWalker wrote:
NAT type 2 will work fine with my ps4 on hub 3 in router mode no editing for open port forwarding which is a good sign i have a no problem router.

but this can be the power levels the ideal running range is 1 to 10 Power (dBmV) if the rest of the stuff does the same it can be a t4 error which can effect your game play you should post your logs from the router you do not need to login in to see the power levels and other stuff http://192.168.0.1/ then Check router status. or it can be a area problem or playstation network problems

it's wired, so surely the power shouldn't make a difference? Either way, i'll wait and see what happens when i get the new SH3 and post back the results.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

markovts wrote:

I don't get the problem when my superhub is in modem mode and only my ps4 is connected directly to it. at the moment my SH in modem mode and currently have the netgear n300 connected to it doing the routing for me and I actually got a specific error after getting kicked out of a party last night due to my nat settings - which is still currently type 2.

I'll wait until i get this new SH3 tomorrow and see what the deal is once it's setup.

If it works OK when the hub is in modem mode with only the PS4 connected then it does suggest that the SH and your Netgear router (which Google is suggesting is an ADSL router) are possibly not routing traffic to the PS4 correctly, or there is another device connected and clashing with the ports used by the PS4.  Feedback on the Hub 3 with regard to routing for games consoles doesn't seem to be much different from the SH2.  Some people say it works just fine for their console with little or no tinkering in the hub settings and others have had to either setup port forwarding or go with modem mode and a third party router to get a stable gaming experience.

I'm still curious about what the issue was (before this console one) that prompted VM to send a Hub 3 to fix it. 

The power levels that DavidJWalker is talking about are the hub's power levels and not wireless power levels.  Also I don't think they are relevant in this situation as if they were wrong you would experience disconnects on multiple devices not just the PS4.

0 Kudos
markovts
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

SCA1972 wrote:

markovts wrote:

If it works OK when the hub is in modem mode with only the PS4 connected then it does suggest that the SH and your Netgear router (which Google is suggesting is an ADSL router) are possibly not routing traffic to the PS4 correctly, or there is another device connected and clashing with the ports used by the PS4.  Feedback on the Hub 3 with regard to routing for games consoles doesn't seem to be much different from the SH2.  Some people say it works just fine for their console with little or no tinkering in the hub settings and others have had to either setup port forwarding or go with modem mode and a third party router to get a stable gaming experience.

I'm still curious about what the issue was (before this console one) that prompted VM to send a Hub 3 to fix it. 

The power levels that DavidJWalker is talking about are the hub's power levels and not wireless power levels.  Also I don't think they are relevant in this situation as if they were wrong you would experience disconnects on multiple devices not just the PS4.

Hi Scott,

The "unrelated" issue I had was that my internet connection would intermittantly stop working - for example i'd be browsing a website and click on a number of links which would all work ok, then all of a sudden it would stop loading links, then all of a sudden start again, or i i was trying to watch a video on facebook/youtube, it would basically freeze when it "lost" the connection and then kick in again a few seconds later. I

had tried all sorts before I eventually gave in and called Virgin to see if they could suggest anything, and i'd tried pretty much everything already so it was deemed the best option would be to replace the router as it might be faulty.

I never lost wifi at any point when it done this, and it happened on a more or less every device in the house that was connected over wifi. It sounds like it might be related to the PS4 issue, but I was never ever disconnected from PSN, only kicked out of party chats or games, which suggests the internet connection was never lost on the ps4 - and the PS4 was always wired, never through wifi.....same with the xbox one (and my mac mini for that matter).

I recieved the SH3 yesterday, and set it up but haven't had the chance to test anything yet as I'm working this weekend, but will try it tonight or tomorrow and see what happens.

The netgear router I was using alongside the SH2 was only for a few days to see if it made a difference, and it's definately a cable router (N300 wnr2000v2) - it was the router i used a few years ago before I got the superhub2 and worked perfect (although I didn't have a ps4 way back then!). The original issue with port forwarding/dmz i posted about happend on the SH2 aswell, not just the netgear router.

0 Kudos