Menu
SBurns93
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

PS4 connection problems + letency issues

Hi there, 

Recently I've been having some pretty bad latency issues and connection problems and due to how useless VM support were when I contacted them, I've came here so hopefully some of you fine people could lend a hand. Here's the situation: 

Due to where I keep the playstation (it is a bit of a dark spot at times) I have been using a power line adaptor to connect to the wifi, which had been working great with no issues (1+ year no issues). But recently for the past few weeks, I have been getting constant latency spikes and random disconnects for 5-10 minutes at a time. The following is a list everything I tried: 

Setting up a static ip address for the console. 

Forwarding all the required ports. 

Changing firewall settings. 

The purchase of a new adaptor in case the original one was faulty. 

Use of a wifi extender.

All to no prevail, it can be mentioned that it is not ideal to use a wired connection, although for experimental purposes, I tried it for a bit. There were still latency spikes although the disconnecting stopped. I read somewhere that the superhub 3 may be to fault but I have no evidence of this. I' m really coming to the end of my tether as I enjoy playing games and am going to stop paying for VM if I cant connect to the internet and have a stable connection consistently. 

If anyone could provide some information or advice on the matter that would be great. Thanks everyone. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 connection problems + letency issues

Best set up if a CAT5E/CAT6 cable dont reach is wired power-line to wired power line. DO NOT use a wireless extender as it will double latency.

HUB3 does have a latency spike issue but not enough to cause disconnects most of the time....

What are speeds and ping like on a speedtest?

0 Kudos
SBurns93
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

Wired speeds are 40-50 meg, wireless is around the 20-30 mark. Speed has never really been an issue every time I've checked, just the spikes. I've been using a wired power line adaptor, two different brands and still the same persisting issue. The adaptors used to work great up until recently, hence why I've put up the post. Ping is generally between 35 and 80 but I've seen it hit as high as 800 on bf1, r6 siege and rocket league during the spikes. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Worth investigating more-  HUB3 spikes are in the order of 200Ms, so a spike to 800 doesnt fit.

Can you set up a BQM?

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

Dont forget you'll need to make sure your super hub is configured to reply to ICMP echo requests.which on HUB3 means turning the firewall off temporarily

0 Kudos
SBurns93
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's the BQM created, will post the results around 4 tomorrow. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
SBurns93
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

See the graph posted above, thanks. 

0 Kudos
SBurns93
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Looks like a busy connection or overutilisation.

Anyone else doing owt on the connection in the evenings?

0 Kudos
SBurns93
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

usual. Re: PS4 connection problems + letency issues

No more use than usual. My brother has an xbox and my dad tends to stream programmes/films on netflix/amazon etc. I don't think congestion could be the issue as there is not much change in usage from when before the issues started and now. Plus, 50 meg bandwidth should be able to handle two consoles and the odd film being streamed. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Morning SBurns93,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to read you are having an issue with the broadband connection.

Looking at your line/network, everything has come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low.

Would you be able to modem mode to see if you get the same issue please? And create another BQM graph? You will need to change the IP address for this. When you post the BQM link make sure that the IP address is hidden.

Speak to you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos