Menu
LiamJWdicken
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

PS4 can't run online while Xbox one is on!!

Hey right this is driving me insane and really annoying, when my brother turns on his Xbox one the wifi witch is usually amazing turns to crap getting horrible spikes every few seconds making online gaming for me impossible, I honestly don't no what to do because it makes no sense at all, any help
Would be appreciated so much.
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 can't run online while Xbox one is on!!

are both of you trying to play via wifi, if so can one of you play wired ?

0 Kudos
LiamJWdicken
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yeah both online trough wifi and unfortunately no, but I pay allot of money for this wifi and it just gets horrible spikes soon as he turns it on, I don't understand why it can't hold both when others have done with ease :/
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Many things can effect wifi and degrade its performance.

1stly do you have any other devices such as baby monitors that can effect it.

2ndly grab a wifi scanner and see if you have any conflicts with neighbours wifi, also use it to see what the signal strength is near where the xbox and ps4 are located.

Also if the hub is near any large metal device or a wall it may help moving it a bit.

the thing to remember with wifi is that each device takes its turn using the wifi, and if a device is not particularly friendly it can mess it up for other devices.

If the xbox one isn't connected via 5ghz can you try that as it would free up 2.4ghz for the ps4..

0 Kudos
LiamJWdicken
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The wifi runs smooth as anything until the Xbox is turned on and I only have one option to connect to the hub not any others so I'm not sure how to change it?
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you go to the hub and make the SSID for 5ghz different to the 2.4ghz then you can force a device to connect to it.

Improving your overall wifi if possible would lessen the impact of the xbox connecting to it.

0 Kudos
LiamJWdicken
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There is only one option on the hub I don't get any other options or to change anything nor do I no how to?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Your laboring under a few misapprehensions.

You dont pay anything for WiFi. VM's  responsibility stops at your WAN side connection going into your HUB. WiFi is a feature of your router, not a part of your service.

"Others" dont generally have no issues with 2 consoles LAN side on WiFi and both expecting a decent,low latency connection. Personally I use wired and powerlines for consoles. WIFi, especially  a VM Hub , is a crapshoot. Wireless is for devices that dont care about low latency.

You may have some joy as Steve has advised, operating one onto 2.4 Ghz and one on 5...but as you say PS4, not PRO its not compatible with 5 anyway which Xbox One is so its likely they are already separated.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My hub is in modem mode so I can't give you step by step instructions, but if you navigate to 192.168.0.100 and logon either using the password stuck underneath, or whatever password you changed it to, you should then have an option somewhere of modifying your wifi settings.

anyway hopefully someone more familiar with the hub will be able to help you.

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

just out of curiosity the xbox one isn't downloading games or anything that hammers the bandwidth? it sounds strange that it would cause the ps4 to play up, I'm just wondering if the problem is because its maxing out your available bandwidth
0 Kudos