Menu
HandySolo2811
Settling in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Speeds

Quick question Guys. My PS4 is connected to the hub via ethernet and gets a speed of around 40mb download & 6mb upload according to the test on the console. My wireless speeds on my iphone are around 100mb download & 12mb upload. why is the wireless faster ??? Surely Lan connection should be quicker. I'm on 200mb service so I'm nowhere near the decribed speeds I'm paying for. Any advice or help would be great. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Speeds

The speed tests on PS3 & PS4 are notorious for not reflecting the true speed of your connection.  Have a look at this thread where it has been discussed previously:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/PS4-Speed/m-p/3022336 

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The NIC in the PS4 gives crap speed. No mater what speed your internet connection is.

I think sony did this, so everyone is on a level playing field.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Nothing wrong with the NIC in the PS4 it is a gigabit NIC and connects as such to my router with a green light.  I have been doing a bit more digging and I had a suspicion that the Sony speed test was only using a single thread for the download.  I found a speed test that works on the PS4 browser and has a multi threaded download option (http://testmy.net/multithread).  The result was a download speed of 153Mbs:

PS4 multithread speed test.jpg

Not maxing out my connection but a big improvement over all the previous speed test I have tried on the PS4.

Disclaimer - I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong  :-)
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.
0 Kudos