Menu
SpiffyInc
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Shareplay Issues

We've recently moved to Virgin Media and upgraded to the 200mbps package. We were told that the download speed would be up to 200mbps and the upload speed would be up to 12mbps. Sony requires users of the PS4 Shareplay feature to have a stable download and upload speed to use this function, however I can never seem to join a friend's hosting session when they start Shareplay. I can host myself but cannot join their session. I barely make it to the required 5mbps as outlined by Sony.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Shareplay Issues

Is the PS4 connected using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection?  Wired is always best for gaming.

Are you testing your speed on the PS4 or a PC?  The Sony speed tests on the PS4 are not always an accurate reflection of your true speeds.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

It might be a routing issue in the hub which is stopping you from connecting to a Share Play session.  Can you try a quick test with the hub in modem mode and just the PS4 connected via Ethernet to see if that lets you connect to a Share Play session?

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

SpiffyInc
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for your reply!

I'm connecting via an ethernet cable (I have tried wireless but that's even worse as expected). Generally I do try using Shareplay during those peak times but I'm just unsure as to why this should make such a huge difference as our previous provider allowed me to connect at whatever time both on weekdays and weekends.

I will try connecting in modem mode the next time I try connecting to a Shareplay session... is there a reason why this might potentially work? If so, does that cancel out all my other wireless devices I use on the network?

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The reason I asked about peak time is that some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.  This is not normal but where it is happening VM seem to be struggling to increase capacity fast enough to cope with demand and it is often taking months to get it resolved.  Most users see a modest drop in top speed at peak times but in extreme cases it can be severe enough to impact many things including gaming.

Modem mode will disable wireless and only allow one wired device. This is just a test not a long term solution, so don't worry about the temporary lack of wireless.  The reason for suggesting this test is to bypass all of the routing functions in the hub to see if it makes any difference.  Some users have had difficulty using their PS4 with the VM hubs (especially the Hub 3 which as a new customer I'm guessing you have) because they don't always route traffic correctly from the Internet to the console.

If modem mode does make a difference then setting up port forwarding in the hub for the ports the PS4 uses can sometimes resolve these issues.  Another solution might be to get your own third party router and plug that into the hub. It is what I and many others do for various reasons, including better wireless performance and better gaming.

If modem mode doesn't help then at least we can rule out poor routing to the console as the problem.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos