Menu
aarondumigan
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Problems

Hi guys,

First post on here so not sure if in the right place or not. Basically I moved to Virgin Media 200mbps gaming broadband because of slow speeds and ridiculous lag when I was with Sky. With sky I was paying for 20mbps & getting around 16mbps with a 0.4 upload. So moving to the 200mbps seemed like the best thing to do. However, I am still experiencing the same lag and still only getting speeds of around 20-30. I know this is a problem a few people have had, but I can't really find a solid answer. 

I should state that all other devices in the house are receiving in and around the speeds I am paying for, so it's not at Virgins end, just looking some help from anyone that has experienced this. Im still within the 14 day cancellation period, so if I can't game there isn't much point in me paying for those speeds.

I've seen a few people say it's a PS4 problem, so hoping someone has a solution.

Cheers for any help in advance

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Problems

during peek times 4pm to 12 midnight and weekends is peek times and don't go wifi with ps4 go wired and they are working on the peek time servers to handle the use which can take time to sort out

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
aarondumigan
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey man,

Thanks for the help! Smiley Happy I should have said, I have also tried wired, which always starts off in and around 150mbps with the first speed test, but then quickly falls back down to the 20s! Assuming it is more of a PS4 server problem?

Thanks for taking the time to reply man. Appreciate it!

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes Sony's Back end is useless, has been since the PS3 days. The PS4 Wifi speed is bad. It only supports the 2.4GHz band.
The PS4 Pro looks to have a upgraded Wifi as it will support the 5GHz band.

If you want to game better on VM, you need to put the SH into modem mode, and buy you own router.
The SH does not have enough computing power for gaming, is ok for basic web access.

I have been in modem mode for 5 years now, and Have No LAG / No NAT problems.

My Previous Post Re Gaming on VM

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

honsty my hub 3 is working fine with router mode with gaming no lag and i don't have nat problems with ps4 Smiley Happy

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
aarondumigan
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So, I have signed up to gaming broadband which is pretty much useless to me then at this moment in time? Haha. Am I wrong to expect the SH to provide me with enough whenever it is part of the gaming package? Ive tried hardwiring it and it doesn't seem to improve either. 

So if i buy my own router & hardwire it to the ps4, will the ps4 still hold me back? Contemplating the switch to Xbox as it seems to be better for online gaming on VM. Just googled the router you have in your signature, coming in at around £60. I be ok spending that if I was guaranteed the return in speeds?

Is changing the SH to modem mode difficult? No real experience in this type of stuff. 

Sorry for all the questoins! haha. Thanks for your help man, really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Follow my steps in my previous post. Re modem mode.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

aarondumigan wrote:

So, I have signed up to gaming broadband which is pretty much useless to me then at this moment in time? Haha. Am I wrong to expect the SH to provide me with enough whenever it is part of the gaming package? Ive tried hardwiring it and it doesn't seem to improve either. 

So if i buy my own router & hardwire it to the ps4, will the ps4 still hold me back? Contemplating the switch to Xbox as it seems to be better for online gaming on VM. Just googled the router you have in your signature, coming in at around £60. I be ok spending that if I was guaranteed the return in speeds?

Is changing the SH to modem mode difficult? No real experience in this type of stuff. 

Sorry for all the questoins! haha. Thanks for your help man, really appreciate it!

I use my PS4 with a third party router like @RedGooner and have no issues with gaming.  I regularly play online games with a friend who is also with VM and he just uses his VM hub with no issues (even when he connects via wireless).  So a new router is not essential and before spending money on one it would be a good idea to run a test with the hub in modem mode and just your PS4 connected.  If the PS4 still has issues then no point buying a new router.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
aarondumigan
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help folks, appreciate it! Will try all this when I get in from work tonight.

Thanks again

0 Kudos