Menu
Kayleighheaden
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Problems

Hello Everyone

I recently switched over from Sky to Virgin and have had nothing but problems with connecting the PS4.  This is not the problem of getting Nat3 first and foremost.  Ill be as descriptive as I can.

Briefly though the problem is an inconsistent and unstable internet connection on the PS4

The PS4 is about 3 foot away from the Router and connected with a brand new Cat 6 ethernet cable

The PS4 worked without problem for years on Sky.  In between leaving Sky and getting Virgin Installed I used my Vodaphone mobile as a wifi hotspot to connect my PS4 to the internet and it worked fine there also.  Got my Virgin installed and a new Superhub 3 and the problems started. The PS4 will set up an internet connection and register that it is connected to the internet on some level as I can see friends lists, messages although it takes a long time to do anything that requires internet.  If I performed an internet connection test they would usually fail for a variety of reasons, sometimes the PSN login would fail, Sometimes the Upload Speed and sometimes the Download speed.  When they would complete it would say "the router might not support IP packet fragmentation" and the ones that would complete would have wildly varying connection speeds.  The symptoms are as follows:

Could not upload anything from the PS4 at all again with various failures, sometimes it will take a long time to tell me it failed to connect.  Sometimes it will allow me to pick facebook then start to upload the video and then fail half way through.  I have tried this with a varying range of video lengths all failed.  I would then connect to my phone as above and successfully upload the videos. 

Games would not load correctly and struggle to find online games and randomly drop out, take for instance black ops III when you load it up and press X it should automatically connect to the servers but never does I would have to reload the game several times to force it too.  There is an option in game to select "play online" but it would not do anything when I tried to select this.

I found it very difficult to host or join chat rooms again something which I can do while connected to my phone via wireless.

When I do get it to work online gaming as I said it randomly drops out and very occasionally sends my ping haywire with me registering as high as 308 ms in one game.

I have been through to virgin several times and we have tried:

Port forwarding, DMZ, DHCP resevation (although this was a nightmare in itself because it refused to accept the PS4 saying it was already reserved when it wasn't)

Virgin are adamant there are no problems on the line or in the area.

I took my PS4 around to my sisters who has Virgin also and tried it there.  It worked fine, uploaded a 10 minute video in a good time, games connected properly so it's not the PS4.  Only difference is she has the very first Superhub.

So virgin sent me out a Superhub 2ac and although there was a slight improvement, as in black ops loads properly by connecting immediately upon loading and more internet connection tests being successful and more stable download/upload speeds many of the problems are still the same.  Managed to upload a 20 second video but any longer meets with the same problem and that was only after trying repeatedly.  We have gone through all the same steps of port forwarding, putting it in the dmz, dhcp resevation and even tried in modem mode.  Nothing seems to work and Virgin are now saying play-station must be contacted but it isn't the playstation as that connected fine on the Sky, On my vodaphone phone and on my sisters virgin.

Its a real head scratcher because the problem whatever it is does not seem to effect the PC although we only use that for browsing really not gaming.  However there have been drop outs on that today.  

I really need to get to the bottom of this as it's really doing my head in now and if it can't be resolved its a complete deal breaker for me and will have to look at going back to sky or BT

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Problems

Hi Kayleighheaden,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your PS4. It certainly sounds like you've tried everything already, even moving to a SH2ac. I've checked everything from this end and can see no problems with your connection. As this is only happening with the PS4 though not happening at other connections it leads me to think the issue may with the route your connection takes to their server.

Could you run a traceroute to the PSN servers and post it here for us to take a look at?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure under the SH settings page there's one for packet fragments which can be turned on or off.
I think it's under the Firewall settings.

Virginia/Doctor9fan. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have NO problems with my PS4 or PSN.

My Sig says it all...

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Kayleighheaden
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John.

Not long after I posted here I discovered that my area needed the cables upgraded.  I spoke to Virgin and they said the work would not be carried out until August and that it was this that was likely the cause of the problems.  The contract got cancelled and I went back to sky with the intention of coming back when the cables had been upgraded because for broadband Virgin are generally better which is why this is so disappointing.  So I have now come back having confirmation the work has been done and taken the new "gaming" package that guarantees an upload speed of 9mbps and to my frustration the problem still persists.  Given the problems I had last time I am not going to wait around to be tied into a contract again and unless this gets resolved quickly I will be exercising my right to cancel which expires on the 16/9/16.  The problem is not as bad as last time, the IP packet fragmentation problem and the problem with internet connection tests failing have stopped, I have completed every single internet connection test this time.  However the speeds on the tests are still wildly varying and I am still unable to upload anything getting the same "cannot upload" and "failed to connect to the server" messages.

As for your request I have no idea how to perform a traceroute from the PS4, if you know how to do this and can tell me I will happily oblige because as I said I would much rather keep the Virgin than the Sky

This time I have been given a black super hub 3.0 where as last time it was white if that makes any difference

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Kayleighheaden,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I hope you're well Smiley Very Happy

Great to hear that you've joined back!

I'm sorry that you're still feeling the affects of the area fault, I wanted to check this for you and give you an update on what's going on, but I can't seem to locate your account info.

I'll need additional info so I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right).

Speak with you very soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
rickaxon81
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

All theses issues with connection speeds is down to virgin not PlayStation, it is the playstations fault for not giving accurate readings due to its ping rate, I'm on virgin 200mb and receive accurate readings of 214mb download and 12mb upload my friend has the virgin gamer which has same download and 20+mb upload, I have some issues during peak time and my mate has none, now my parents are on virgin 60mb which has 3mb upload, I cannot play fifa as the oppisition is always 10 steps ahead at first I thought its EA but I continued to play on as I know the handicap has an effect, I played 10 games and every single one it got to 9 nil before I quit, I have play 500 games on my internet and never list 9nil and never lost more than 3 in a row, now this is due to the upload speed that why they have released the gamer broadband but this should be as standard all ISP's do not provide gamers with enough upload speed, plenty for download but 12mb should be as standard I understand you pay for what you get that's why i got the 200mb package but users should be able to at least play a game and have some chance, last of all thanks virgin for the great gamer broadband and homeworks broadband but the standard users need help!!!!!! more upload speeds = more customer simples Virgin
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

None of the VM SH (Superhubs) are fit for purpose when gaming. They are only good for web surfing.

Put the SH in modem mode, and add your own router. I have been running with this setup for over 5 years now, and have NO Problems.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos