Menu
DavidJChalmers
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Pro WiFi Problems

Hi,

I've been having problems with my PS4 Pro since I first got it in November and despite the initial problems not being much of a bother the problems that have been occurring since December are infuriating and prohibitive to my gaming experience.

When playing multiplayer on Overwatch and Destiny I will often get randomly DC'd mid-match for no reason. Everything else on my connection (phone, laptop etc) is still working fine yet my PS4 Pro decides to completely drop connection to the server and give me an error. I immediately head to Settings>Network>Test Internet Connection and it tells me everything is fine and I can go back into the game. Sometimes the issue will repeat itself immediately and after a few times and I give up; other times I can then game for an hour or two with no problems.

Now the first problems I had with this PS4 Pro (my second btw, first one had a faulty power port...) were connection based when installing applications and updates and I would get a hyphen in place of the usual 100mb/2gb 25mins remaining kind of message. and an error with the download and would have to keep pausing/restarting downloads. The solution to this was to use Google's DNS settings of 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4 in the Primary and Secondary slots. This worked to get the downloads going but soon I started getting problems with gaming and reset the DNS to default. This didn't seem to fix the problem.

I have had several conversations with Playstation Help via Twitter and have tried every suggestion including ones I have found online including:

• Opening ports via firewall on my PC
  • Hard reset of the router and setting up connection again on console (several times including over Christmas when console and router were unplugged for 3 days)
  • Reset to Default Settings
  • Back-up and initialise PS4, reinstalling system software from a USB with the software downloaded from Playstation/Sony official website. Restoring games and data afterwards
  • Rebuilding database in safe mode
  • Uninstalling and re-installing affected games
  • Restoring licenses

I tried to exchange it at GAME believing it is faulty but they believe it is a Virgin Media issue. I thought I'd come here before I send it to Sony for testing. I'd love to play wired but the router is in the far corner of the living room, which is big and across a big hall as well and it isn't very manageable - I would have to put in A LOT of work to do this - when the WiFi connection should be working regardless of preference. It's a simple feature of the modern console.

My flatmate has no issues with his Xbox One on the same connection, and if I recall correctly I had no issues with my prior PS4's connection.

Error codes I have gotten related to the aforementioned issues are:

• NP-34924-2 (Cannot Connect to Server)
  • NW-31247-7 (DNS)

I'd appreciate help from anyone who believes they may be able to. I presume it's a hardware issue with the console's receiver or something like that, but it's truly baffling me. I've tried everything Playstation have asked of me and still having the same problem so I'm not sure what to do other than to send it to them to check the hardware.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Pro WiFi Problems

What Superhub do you have ???

2.4GHz or 5GHz ???

Have you tried Wired ???

I myself prefer to use the SH in Modem mode, with my own router, as the SH is useless for gaming.
I have a PS4 and Never had a problem with it, in my current config.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

DavidJChalmers wrote:

I tried to exchange it at GAME believing it is faulty but they believe it is a Virgin Media issue. I thought I'd come here before I send it to Sony for testing. I'd love to play wired but the router is in the far corner of the living room, which is big and across a big hall as well and it isn't very manageable - I would have to put in A LOT of work to do this - when the WiFi connection should be working regardless of preference. It's a simple feature of the modern console.

My flatmate has no issues with his Xbox One on the same connection, and if I recall correctly I had no issues with my prior PS4's connection.

The evidence presented so far does suggest that the fault probably lies with the PS4 Pro, although I would suggest a wired test to see if it is just the wireless on the console that is problematic.  Narrowing down the issue could speed up Sony's investigation.  If moving the PS4 temporarily for a quick wired test is a lot of work then maybe try powerline adapters to create a wired connection via the electrical wiring in your house.  While WiFi is a simple feature of the modern console, the technology is not built for gaming as it can't guarantee a consistent signal and will always result in more lag than with a wired connection.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Got my PS4 Pro connected via wired rather than wireless ....

IMAG0246

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi DavidJChalmers

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of the problems you've been having with your new PS4 Pro, this sounds incredibly frustrating and we'll do our best to help. 

I've run some checks on your connection and I can't see any issues that stand out. Is there any improvement changing the wireless channel

I'd try a wired connection as Scott suggested to see if this makes a difference. There are too many factors that can affect wireless so when playing online I'd always recommend using ethernet. 

Speak soon,

Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Rox598
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey just jumping in here to say my PS4 Pro does exactly the same thing

If you look when on the Dashboard it'll ramdonly say "connect to the interenet" when this happens the interent settings IP address and signal strength is gone and then suddenly comes back showing 100%

No idea why but it seems to be 100% fine in the 2.5GHz mode so far and i've no idea why the signal is suddenly dropping on the PS4

0 Kudos
DavidJChalmers
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies thus far. I have switched to wired and have had zero issues since I've done son and that's been maybe a week or two now. I was playing on the 5ghz wireless channel on my PS4 Pro FYI. Emailed Sony and they suggest I try it on another wireless connection once again...it's like they think packing a console up and testing it in another house isn't a lot of hassle and a waste of my time considering the issue could occur at random times...

0 Kudos