Menu
dangerf1sh
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Low LAN Download Speed At Night? IP Packet Fragmentation?

Hey guys, first time posting here. Recently I have been having an issue with my PlayStation 4 download speed, particularly at night for some odd reason, this only started about a week ago when my ping playing Rainbow Six Siege online kept spiking from 68 for example to 565 and in a rare case 1000 booting me from the game. I'm using a LAN connection and I have tried portforwarding the PS4, using DMZ, making changes to the firewall so no ports are blocked and always at night my mbps download speed will struggle to make it past 1.5mbps when in the morning/afternoon it is usually around 20mbps-25mbps in download speed. When running internet connection tests however through the PS4 a notification always shows saying something along the lines of "IP packet fragmentation some features on the PS4 might be restricted?" This has only popped up recently and I don't know if this is why my ping keeps spiking online? My UPNP is also enabled and my MTU for the PS4 and Superhub is at 1500. Any help would be appreciated thank you. 

0 Kudos
nigel1969
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Low LAN Download Speed At Night? IP Packet Fragmentation?

i am getting this message as well and my connection on ps4 is terrible i am lucky to hit 10mbps its like it during the day for me as well

0 Kudos
dangerf1sh
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's a really wierd thing because it only really happens on the one game i play, I've heard it's the games fault from some people but most of my friends have a stable connection when playing at night. I'll probably just phone support tonight and see if they can resolve the issue lol.
0 Kudos
dangerf1sh
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just did an internet connection test now at 17:00 and my download speed is currently 24.0mbps and upload at 4.5mbps. Strange because the yesterday afternoon I couldn't get it past 10mbps download. It's so wierd.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

dangerf1sh wrote:
It's a really wierd thing because it only really happens on the one game i play, I've heard it's the games fault from some people but most of my friends have a stable connection when playing at night. I'll probably just phone support tonight and see if they can resolve the issue lol.

I wouldn't waste your time with phone support.  The VM forum team are much better at running checks and diagnosing problems on your line than the phone support.  They will take a few days to get to this thread though.

If the slow down is only in the evening (4pm - 11pm) then it could be a peak time utilisation/contention issue in your area.  This is not something that phone support or the forum team can fix, but the forum team will give you a review date.

If the fault is specific to your line e.g. power levels too low/high then the forum team can spot things like that and if necessary contact you via PM to arrange a technician.

Issues with just a single game would suggest a fault with the servers running that game, maybe the route your connection takes to the servers is the issue and that route is different for your friends.

The Sony speed tests on PS3 & PS4 are notorious for not reflecting the true speed of your connection because they only use a single threaded download.  Have a look at these posts where myself and others have discussed it previously:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/PS4-Speed/m-p/3022336 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/PS4-Speeds/m-p/3028580

I found a speed test that works on the PS4 browser and has a multi threaded download option, try this site in the PS4 web browser: http://testmy.net/multithread

Some people have had issue with consoles not working properly due to the unique way the super hubs work in router mode (i.e. not always very well).  You could try a test with the hub in modem mode and just the PS4 connected to see if it makes any difference.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
dangerf1sh
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much, I'll check out them posts and I was thinking that the high amount of people using the internet in the evening might be one of the reasons why my speeds decrease. After making a few changes this morning it seems my connection has been relatively smooth with no random ping spikes.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi dangerf1sh,

Firstly welcome to our Forum, I'm glad you've come to us for help Smiley Happy

I've tested your connection thoroughly and note two issues that will be impacting on your broadband performance.

1. The first is very low downstream power levels which can be increased by an engineer - just reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll schedule an appointment for you.
  2. The second issue is that of limited capacity on this part of the network. Plans are already in place for a complete upgrade but the preliminary work is still ongoing. This is due for review on 13-04-2016 at which time we'll check for further updates.

Apologies for the less than optimal speeds you'll be achieving in the meantime, but do please check my 2nd PM which outlines your credit options.

We'll be in touch to keep you informed, bye for now Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Mr-Hare
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've been having the same issue on the ps3 and ps4 for over a week with the randomly slower speeds and the ip fragments message.

I've tried both wireless and modem mode direct wired but both are still happening.

The ip fragments message on them doesn't appear all the time. That's random as well. But it shouldn't be there at all in modem mode with it not using the router but it still does.

So something has changed on one or both sides and not going together well.
0 Kudos