Menu
UPTHEBORO
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

PS4 GAMING

Hi  getting VM internet in for gaming I have opted for 100mbs package which is more than I need but hey ho.

As im not well clued up with the specifics I know that speed is not everything and when it comes to first person shooters the ping, download speeds, lag , latency and jitters play a big part in in the overall gaming experience.

Can someone explain to me what it is I eactly need to be looking for as I have seen an alarming number of threads stating that even though they are paying for high speeds they encounter a lot of problems when gaming whith VM

Also can someone explain what ping is why high ping and low ping effect gaming thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: PS4 GAMING

Mostly its router mode that causes problems so if you use modem mode and you are just gaming it be fine.

0 Kudos

All Replies
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The SH (SuperHub) is rubbish for gaming in Router mode. Its been like this for 4 years.

Put the SH into modem mode, get your own router and enjoy.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
UPTHEBORO
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can you not explain to my why I need to think about the ping and download speeds ?
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Download or upload speed at a given level is not important only if the game does voice, video or your stream your online gameplay does it matter more.

Ping interval and consistency from when you sent packets for the other end to receive it is key and same in reverse as the game calculates your movement path and what your doing to show the other player(s) where you are in close to real time as possible the game also calculates your latency to other players and adjusts offsets in packet timing to best sync all player to a degree. Jitter is where latency is in-consistency of the intervals of sent packets to not be the interval timed you sent them as meaning the other end receives them at a non set interval which is their delay between each sent packet that was then received. Some amount of jitter can be tolerated (this is not Average Latency it is the Minimum and Maximum Latency between the two) and the game try to calculate this to best sync all players without the game over/under calculating when it happens. When the jitter is so bad the game over/under calculates the movements of a player(s) causing lag as the game can't keep everyone in real time because of how bad the jitter is.

0 Kudos
UPTHEBORO
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

the problem I have is that I know VM are the fastest but that doesn't mean nothing in gaming does it ? And from what I have read so far VM is not the go to for gaming as there seems to be a lot of issues with them regarding traffic control and peak times
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Mostly its router mode that causes problems so if you use modem mode and you are just gaming it be fine.

0 Kudos
Xopher
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to leave Virgin Media - it seems their hubs are awful for online gaming. I pay over £100 a month to spend 30 minutes a night lagging all over the place. NO thanks.  

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

SH Modem Mode and your own router = NO LAG

--
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
UPTHEBORO
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I heard the same
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have been modem mode from day I got my SH. VM engineer did not even know about it, until I showed him.

The last VM engineer who showed up for a problem, saw my setup, and said its the best way.

Customer services and the Forum Police will not explain it.

--
0 Kudos