Menu
DavidMcgregor
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Downloads slow

Hey, i have 300Mbps D/L speed but when i download a game on PS4 it only downloads at 5Mbps, is this a PS4 problem or internet problem? and is their a fix? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Downloads slow

I see you have another thread where your PC was also slow and now is OK, so I'm wondering if the PS4 is also OK now?  Bear in mind that the Sony servers appear to use a single thread downloads so will never max out your connection.  In my experience the download servers are limited by Sony to around 70Mbps, but they even struggle to reach this speed on occasion.  I have found that pausing and then restarting a download can sometimes speed it up.  Some people say that putting the PS4 into rest mode can speed up downloads, in my experience it had the opposite effect.

I usually get better speeds in the morning, when presumable the servers are less busy or Sony have more available bandwidth.  Also I have my PS4 connected by Ethernet for best speeds and stability.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
DavidMcgregor
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes PC is working fine, but i've always had this problem with PS4, my friend is also on virgin media and he was downloading games at 20+Mbps a second, when i do speed tests on my PS4 it says i'm getting 70+Mbps but when i download a game, it goes at 5Mbps a secondftyftyftyftyyfty].PNG

0 Kudos
arronlowley
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

im guessing you have the new ps4? the old one sucked for download speed, i also notice my download speed drops on my ps4, it wont be a virgin issue, it will be a psn server issue or something along those lines.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@arronlowley I have an original day one PS4 and it reports similar speeds in the Sony tests as @DavidMcgregor has posted in his screen shot so I don't think the age of the PS4 is relevant to the speeds.

I found a speed test that works on the PS4 web browser and has a multi threaded download option which gives me much faster results than the Sony test but never as fast as results from my PC: http://testmy.net/multithread

@DavidMcgregor It sounds like you are unlucky and connecting to very busy servers at Sony's end.  Might be worth trying the pausing download trick to see if that gets you a better server, or try at different times of day.  It might be an issue with the hard drive in the console being slow to write data, but that is not a fault I have heard of before.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
zombiesfeelpain
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

David are you sure you're not mistaking megabits for megabytes? ie 70Mbps is 8.75Mb so 5Mb sounds about right for downloads.

0 Kudos
zombiesfeelpain
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

PSN has had a history of being the slower network overall in terms of download speeds, this was mainly due to PSN being a free service back in the PS3 days but now with the PS4 that's no longer the case, if I remember correctly Sony even stated that the change to make a paid subscription service for PSN on PS4 mandatory was to help fund improvements to the network, and honestly I haven't really seen much.

My downloads max out at around 10Mb's, normally hover around 7-8Mb's, whereas on Xbox Live my brother consistently gets around 15Mb's, this is all on my Vivid 200mbps connection wired at early periods in the day ie 2AM.

0 Kudos