Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

PS3 SSD

Anyone have a SSD installed in a PS3. I am looking at a sandisk 120Gb SSD to put in my old 40GB fat PS3. Its purly used to play Final Fantasy (including all the older PS1 versions) X-X2 Remastered, ARR, 13 and 13-2 Lightning returns, (did i miss any) 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS3 SSD

I decided against the SSD Idea and stuck a 500Gb HDD in it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tidus,

Only just got to your post! I've not tried a SSD with my PS3 but was actually considering doing something similar. Let us know how the HDD works out for you. I've got a 500GB external that I was thinking of partitioning for PS3 and wondering if it's worth it Smiley Happy

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The HDD is working fine. Its Internal as Unlike Microsoft, Sony do allow you to swap out the HDD.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I went from the stock 320Gb HDD on my slim PS3 to a 500Gb HDD when I was running out of space a couple of years ago.  I considered SSD but read a few articles that suggested only a small performance improvement as other aspects of the PS3's architecture resulted in bottlenecks.  I have since upgraded the 500Gb to 1Tb as I keep filling up on PS+ freebies.

I found the process straight forward and the only pain was the backup & restore times which were huge so I just left it running overnight for those bits.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

An SSD does work, have to make sure there is no FAT etc on it at all and let the PS3 or PS4 format it for you.

Bear in mind though I would not recommend it if you only casually use your console, as an SSD works off a rechargeable battery on its board to keep data stored alive.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

DABhand wrote:

Bear in mind though I would not recommend it if you only casually use your console, as an SSD works off a rechargeable battery on its board to keep data stored alive.

Modern SSD's do not need an internal power source.

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Some have a rechargeable battery others use capacitors to hold a charge, but they do exist with a power source of some kind.

Think of your motherboard, how does it remember your updated cmos changes etc? And what happens when the battery is removed or runs out?

Majide!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

CMOS (where your time settings and that are stored on your pooter) IS battery dependent. These days CMOS holds very little information because of that.

Flash memory is not. Ive SD cards that have been stored for years and the data is accessible, it doesn't need a power source. SSD's  use the same NAND technology and need no power source to store data.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I also read that there would be vary little difference so went for the 500Gb (don't think i will fill it up). Yes it is a pain to restore if you have a lot on it plus you need a USB stick with the latest PS3 Update (PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP) to get it back up and running.

As for SSD's using Batteries or Capacitors to keep data thats a good one. SSDs are based on flash storage or at least all the ones I have are.

0 Kudos