Menu
Gary-R-
Tuning in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

PORT FORWARDING NO LONGER WORKING

For 4 months now I've suddenly no longer been able to forward any ports on the vm superhub. I've now had 3 different hubs, reformatted my pc about 8 times, tried different pc's/laptops. Nothing. Even had remote support 3 times from virgin media online support. Still nothing. Finally got fed up and went with BT. Had ports working within 5 minurtes. So it's not me, my software or hardware.

People are starting to complain about this issue much more now. Virgin media either have a fault randomly around the country or they are blocking port forwarding randomly around the country.

This needs fixed. I left bt because they were too slow and stayed with virgin media but only temporarily. lf this problem keeps going much longer i'll move to sky.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: PORT FORWARDING NO LONGER WORKING

Might using modem mode and your own router help?

0 Kudos
Gary-R-
Tuning in
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Already tried that. You offer that advice to everyone. I saw that advice on here ages ago and tried it. Still nothing. I've been told if vm are blocking at their end then there is nothing in the world you can do to fix the issue. The only options are... Get enough support to get vm to fix the issue or Move isp.

Sad that nobody at vm will openly tell us what's going on. It's fine for all you people who are still "at the moment" working but you'll see. One day with a bang it will stop just like it did to me and many others so far. Then maybe we can get some action from vm.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Gary-R- wrote:

Already tried that. You offer that advice to everyone. I saw that advice on here ages ago and tried it. Still nothing. I've been told if vm are blocking at their end then there is nothing in the world you can do to fix the issue. The only options are... Get enough support to get vm to fix the issue or Move isp.

Sad that nobody at vm will openly tell us what's going on. It's fine for all you people who are still "at the moment" working but you'll see. One day with a bang it will stop just like it did to me and many others so far. Then maybe we can get some action from vm.

Eh?

Port forwarding has worked for the last 5 years without any issue, i'm thinking its likely to be something specific to your hub which is broken rather than a general fault, did you make sure to assign the device you were trying to port forward to a static IP address, also is this a computer or a console and how are you testing to see that the ports are infact not open, also which ports were you trying to open

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

What ports are you wanting? TCP or UDP?

If you tried my advice what router do you have?

0 Kudos
Gary-R-
Tuning in
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I have tried every port under the sun. Every combination, port single and port range, I even got an online calculator to calculate every possible firewall setting. I took your advice and got a "tenda" router but that was hopeless. Also connected the pc directly to the superhub in "modem" mode. Still nothing. Now as in my original post, 3 routers later, numerous phone calls etc etc.... Still nowhere. BT worked instantly as it should. I've been with vm for about 6 years and never had a problem until now. My knowledge of routers is pretty good as I do this in remote support for my clients etc. It's a mystery that vm are keeping close to their chests.

0 Kudos
Gary-R-
Tuning in
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Also it cannot be the superhubs. I have had 3 since the problem started. Even the superhub3. I opted to downgrade back to the old one in case there is a firmware issue. As I said before. I changed to BT and everything works instantly with no problem at all. I know what i'm doing, how to open correctly and how to test. I wrote the software that I use to do the testing. This all proves, my knowledge, my software that I wrote and also my pc etc are not at fault. Neither is the superhub. Either vm has "blocked" my ip or there is a "random" block or problem up and down the UK which either vm hasn't got a clue about or... They're planning to roll this out to everyone.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Ports don't open unless you have something for that port.

If you don't know if your meant to use TCP or UDP you likely don't know what you need.

0 Kudos
Gary-R-
Tuning in
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

MMmmm Clearly you have not read the whole content of my above posts. I "DO" know what i'm doing and I "DO" Know what I need. I have been a happy virgin media customer for 6 years. Believe me I "KNOW" the problem is with virgin media.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Gary-R- wrote:

MMmmm Clearly you have not read the whole content of my above posts. I "DO" know what i'm doing and I "DO" Know what I need. I have been a happy virgin media customer for 6 years. Believe me I "KNOW" the problem is with virgin media.

If that was true wouldn't the most important bit of you saying “PORT FORWARDING NO LONGER WORKING” be that you say what port that is and the app its for? Seem odd you have not listed it and I did say above “What ports are you wanting? TCP or UDP?” but you choose to still not list that. So no I don't believe you.

0 Kudos