Menu
razerbug
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Over a month later the world most popular MMORPG STILL not playable on Virgin line

Dozens of us posted back in July that World of Warcraft (and several other games seemingly) was being disconnected randomly, leaving them unplayable. 

On 19th of July I posted Here about the issue, with as much technical data as I could, including the report from Blizzard customer service tracing the problem the the way Virgin superhubs treat the game client (like bit-torrent) 

Since then I've been asked to fill out not one but two customer support forms, which have gone unanswered, and had to put up with nonsense trolling from their social media accounts (telling me to post on the forums if I have a complaint about the lack of support on the forums...bravo)

Checked eveything again today and nothing has changed, no official word has been given on what virgin are doing about the issue, and the game I pay a monlthy fee for is unplayable because of this inaction. 

Assuming Virgin are not, at this point, making any efforts to fix this issue, are they going to start reimbursing us for the game we pay for but they block us from playing?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Over a month later the world most popular MMORPG STILL not playable on Virgin line

0 Kudos
razerbug
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Over a month later the world most popular MMORPG STILL not playable on Virgin line

Hi Legacy1

I tried it modem mode with my router and it didn't disconnect in the 10 minutes I had to test it.

This isn't a viable solution though, I live in a rented house with 7 other housemates. The landlord (70+ and not very great English) set up the virgin account and doesn't like us messing with it, but I'm in IT support so of course I can't help myself Smiley Wink

I can't stick it in modem mode and hook up my own stuff to it, or take the time to test things thoroughly and disrupt the internet service for my other housemates, that's not fair on them.

It also means I can't just phone up and tell virgin I'm taking my business to someone who doesn't traffic control every byte in and out of the house...
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You can get your own line put in.
0 Kudos
razerbug
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The cost of the internet connection is included in my rent, I am not exactly inclined to pay virgin TWICE for the service that they have willfully broken so that they can better limit our use of the net.

This is a virgin created problem that they need to fix, I'm not about to pay out again to work around it.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Your only option is to wait or put the super hub in modem mode with a router that mirrors the wireless password and no one will know...with the exception that stuff works better...

or ask for another different super hub.

0 Kudos
Martmcfeely
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
razerbug
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Why is our only option to work around, at our own expense, Virgin providing a not-fit-for-purpose service?

An option is Virgin actively do something to fix the issues of their own devising making, that other support teams are telling them about.

0 Kudos
razerbug
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion matmcfeely, unfortunately there's no way the wireless could be the issue for me here, as I'm wired directly into the hub.

0 Kudos
carrotcruncher
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Got a superhub 2 a couple of days ago, after my old superhub 1 died.

Having the same problem as OP - with World of Warcraft - random disconnects - get booted from raids - not the best being a tank as it then leads to other people having wasted their time and effort and my name is fast becoming Mr Unreliable after years with no problems.

My son also plays WoW and is now on the verge of being kicked from his hardcore raiding guild as he cannot maintain a connection and that is a direct result of this issue over just the last couple of days.

Over an hour on the phone with tech today explaining the problem and them going through the motions of testing the connection etc, which I already knew to be fine in normal conditions - it is the traffic profiling in the firmware which thinks any type of streaming or online game play through non-normal protocols is torrents and it kills connections for a millisecond - just enough the cause the discos.

After all this time wasted and very repeated pressing on my part did the tech guy admit there was an issue and it was being worked on.

What the heck is the point of going through all this - I knew what the problem was as I explained it from the start, yet we had to go through all the BS and me pressurising him to finally admit the situation.

WOW Forums awash with people having the same issue - none reported with superhub1 or superhub 2ac - alternatively of course I could by another router and run the rubbish hub in modem mode only - but I don't see why I should have to fork out for new hardware when yours isn't doing it's proper job.

I'm paying for a service and being given equipment that is not suitable for purpose - how long is this firmware fix going to take  ??? - nobody can or will give me an answer - otherwise I think 2ac hubs should be sent out to those with issues.

It's a big deal for my household and 'we're working on it' doesn't cut the mustard.