Menu
Estwest
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Opening Ports with Firewall Set as High

Hi there,

I have a super hub and have set the firewall as high.  This has stopped my son from playing some of his games - I suspect because the ports are blocked.

I could reset the firewall to low but figured a better way would be to open the ports for the specific games he wants to play......only I can't figure out how to do this.

SuperHub is set as Router.

Can anyone advise please?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Opening Ports with Firewall Set as High

Its a firewall with a simple slide setting its a dumb rule set used per given setting...what you expect?

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFl...

If you want a firewall use windows firewall or get a configurable hardware firewall/router.

0 Kudos
Estwest
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello Legacy1

thanks for your help, I had read the standard help docs and could not find a solution which is why I reached out the community hoping someone from the community had experienced a similar issue and found a solution.  

What I was expecting was that in selecting the Firewall setting as high, medium or low, the firewall would apply a base set of rules which you could fine tune through the port settings under 'advanced'.  What confused me was the requirement to specify an IP address given these are (I thought) dynamically provided by the router.  Anyway its clear you are saying this isn't possible.

I'm not sure I follow how a windows firewall would help in this instance as like in most households we have multiple devices connected to the router to access the internet - I want to have the main firewall to protect the household network and associated devices not each device separately.

Quite new to this stuff so hopefully my questions make sense.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Useless you take the time to know what NAT is its not going to make sense I can spin how it is in many ways and you still be left unsure the word firewall in the super hub is misleading but saying that will not make sense because of the way things are that there are many types of firewall which...look you just don't need it OK.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Superhub-1-firewall-only-usable-on-quot-l...

0 Kudos