Menu
Danbojones
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Online gaming lag

I've been getting very inconsistent gaming results ever since I moved address, but recently I've been getting absurd lag, particularly in Destiny on PS4. Download speeds seem fine. Is this a packet loss issue?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Online gaming lag

Hello Danbojones

Sorry we took a bit of a while getting here but welcome to our forum, we will take a look for you.

Your line and hub are good, all levels nicely in spec and the area historical data is also looking good, traffic is low.

Are you using wireless with the PS4 or a wired connection, we would always recommend wired for gaming by the way.

It may well be worth considering setting up a Broadband Quality Monitor to check for packet loss.

I notice the hub is reporting as being online for the last 51 days so may be worth a reboot, shake up those cobwebs.

Please bring us up to date, are you still having issues?

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Danbojones

Sorry we took a bit of a while getting here but welcome to our forum, we will take a look for you.

Your line and hub are good, all levels nicely in spec and the area historical data is also looking good, traffic is low.

Are you using wireless with the PS4 or a wired connection, we would always recommend wired for gaming by the way.

It may well be worth considering setting up a Broadband Quality Monitor to check for packet loss.

I notice the hub is reporting as being online for the last 51 days so may be worth a reboot, shake up those cobwebs.

Please bring us up to date, are you still having issues?

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Danbojones
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am, even after having reset the hub. DL speeds on my 200mb line are never above 80 as far as I can tell, even during quiet periods. Lag is still an issue. 

0 Kudos
Danbojones
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Also, I have set up a broadband quality monitor here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/e81cc6fb0ea5f29a4167b378730aa842.html

Please note that ping reply was only enabled today, hence the 100% dropped packets previously.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Danbojones,

Thanks for providing that BQM. For the most part it's satisfactory with regard to latency. I am however interested in the packet loss which appears to have hit between about 10:30pm and midnight.

Did you experience any disconnections during that time?

If the slow speeds are impacting outside of that time range we'll have to look more closely at your home setup if you don't mind. 

Would you please:

• Connect just a single pc or laptop directly to the Hub via Ethernet? Run a speed test or two via the default servers on speedtest.net. 
  • Then repeat the above with a different pc or laptop.

Post the resulting speed test data on here please and we'll take it from there.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Danbojones
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I wasn't actually playing anything then, it was probably being used to stream Netflix. Lag had been relatively consistent across quite a few time frames, though.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Danbojones,

Thanks for clarifiying that Smiley Happy

Have you managed to follow my advised steps yet? Please report back when you've done so and we'll see what else we can do/try.

Thanks Smiley Happy

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Would you please:

• Connect just a single pc or laptop directly to the Hub via Ethernet? Run a speed test or two via the default servers on speedtest.net. 
  • Then repeat the above with a different pc or laptop.

Post the resulting speed test data on here please and we'll take it from there.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
nassani
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

posted this to wrong place. sry

0 Kudos