Menu
Jacob1917
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Online gaming high ping spikes and packet loss

Hi all!

I've been experiencing high ping spikes and packet loss for quite a long time and I've even called VM to sort out the issue with no more 'help' than telling me to reset the SH2 to factory settings which I've done countless of times. High latency has nothing to do with the modem/router as far as I know. I even took the initiative to buy a wireless access point andput the SH2 in modem mode with no difference whatsoever.

Ping test to Google:

3ba56d071e11eeaeeb82425e20005778

Downstream:

5f93a24f7269cd870f42d23084e0f893

59cbcb9270a63693fb5d1972cfb3f907

Network Log:

be3b04bfaacac2953cce7aaf4033d5de

I hope I can get this sorted out because it is really frustrating and has been going on for a very long time.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Online gaming high ping spikes and packet loss

Have you tried hardwired to the HUB instead of wireless?

Next can you set up a BQM

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

Dont forget youll need to make sure your super hub is configured to reply to ICMP echo requests...

0 Kudos
Jacob1917
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. I've surprisingly just noticed that the ping is quite stable when wired to the HUB directly unlike when I'm connected through SH wireless or the 3rd party wireless access point. Smiley Frustrated

However, I will set up a BQM and post the results back.

0 Kudos
Jacob1917
Tuning in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Still experiencing the same issue whether I'm connected wirelessly or through cable. Here's the BQM Graph:

6269010c65c7114fb0199169a0410549-03-12-2016

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

You anything happening your side that would use large amounts of upstream bandwidth? Twitch streaming, large backups to the cloud, P2P?

0 Kudos
Jacob1917
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Not at all, I even experience this issue with only one PC connected and no other programs running..

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Okay I'm going to escalate to for staff to run some checks- your highest latency is outside peak hours so at a guess its not overutilisation...

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Morning Jacob1917,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing issues with your broadband connection.

Looking at the stats you posted the downstream power levels were showing between 2 - 3 dBmV, now when I just checked they are at + 10 dBmV, so they are fluctuating. I would like to arrange for an engineer to check this over for you and have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) requesting some details.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jacob1917
Tuning in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Technician came in today, checked it and told me that the problem is from outside not inside so he can't do anything about it apart from changing the router which would not make it any better. Is there any way to fix the root of this problem (from outside) since I'm paying for a good internet and this has been affecting my internet for a very long time...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon Jacob1917,

Thanks for letting us know how the engineer visit went.

I've checked your connection again and there are high peaks of traffic during peak hours, however it is not breaching our thresholds for me to pass onto the networks department.

By looking at your BQM this issue was outside of peak hours. If you can re-post an update BQM graph for me please and some trace routes in both router and modem mode, that will be helpful.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos