Menu
Sameon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Online Gaming - Ping and Jitter Issues

Hi all,

I've had the same virgin broadband (50) since around April 2015 and upgraded to the SuperFibre 70 as of November 2016 last year. I was able to play games online like League of Legends, Dota, Super Smash Bros and other online Steam games with friends quite easily with no risk of lag.

However, as of August last year it seems my ping/latency issues have got progressively worse. My upload and download speeds have stayed consistent throughout the period oddly enough.

E.g. Upload speed around 30-50Mbps and upload being around 3.5Mbps. Ping was usually around 18-30ms when i originally started up with Virgin. Then around August last year it would consistently spike from 7-10pm (which is expected due to heavy traffic) to around 80-300ms.

In the past couple weeks though I am consistently (at all times of the day), at around 150-500ms and it doesn't feel like there's anything I can do. I'm just shocked that when i originally signed up it was great, consistent and at a perfect speed for what I was doing, but over time it seems to have gradually got worse. (There was no promotion for increased speed at the beginning of my sign up)

I just want to know if there's anything I can do to help the situation or if its a technical issue or if my router is somehow at fault. 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Online Gaming - Ping and Jitter Issues

Hi there Sameon,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to read you are having an issue with high pings.

Looking at your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which can cause slow speeds/ping and latency issues. The reference number is F003996142 and has a review date of 25th October.

As this will impact your broadband during peak hours and you mentioned this happens at all times of the day, are you able to post some ping tests and trace routes for us to check over please?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Sameon
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Online Gaming - Ping and Jitter Issues

How do I get the trace routes data?

I'll comprise a short table over the next 3 days showing ping tests at different times if thats ok? (E.g. 11am through to 11pm at 2 hour intervals)

Hopefully this is ok.

Regards,

0 Kudos