Menu
Daniel182
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Normal ping, Massively high jitter.

Hello All,

For the past two weeks I've been experiencing a very poor online gaming experience. I mainly use my PS4 to play online, but since I have tested with Team Fortress 2 on my PC to rule out the PSN issues that have been occuring lately.

I have run several hundred pingtest, using pingtest.net, and all report that Jitter is very high on the line.

I used webchat to speak to Virgin media, who ran through some ping tests from my PC to the router and their Servers; however she could not see an issue. We also did a traceroute to the IP i'd connected to during a game of TF2. She could see no issue.

I've been using http://www.whatsmyip.org/traceroute/ to run a test. The website send data packets from there servers to my pc and measures the times between each hop. I see that the packet gets to Virgin Media's Servers very quickly, but often they either take a relative age to get to me or don't even reach my PC. 

So I can clearly connect to Virgin Media's servers, the test I used could clearly get there, but they seem to be having issues bridging the two. 

Hopefully i've provided enough information to solve this issue.

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Normal ping, Massively high jitter.

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you've been having trouble gaming online.

I've just tried to check your connection to see what could be causing this but couldn't locate your account. I've sent you a private message requesting some information so that I can investigate this further.

Could you run some traceroutes from your PC through cmd instead and post them here? Having a site ping to you doesn't give any useful information on the route between your connection and the games server.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Daniel182
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Normal ping, Massively high jitter.

Apologies for my late response.

I understand CMD trace route would produce better results, but I don't have an external IP from one of the game's servers to test with.

I was just using whatsmyip as a constant to test with. 

Thanks for looking into this problem for me. 

Dan

0 Kudos