Menu
SAustin87
Just joined
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Nintendo Switch - Could not perform DNS name resolution

Hi,

I just moved over to Virgin Broadband last week and have discovered my Nintendo Switch no longer connects to the internet since moving from BT.

It comes up with the message "could not perform DNS name resolution" when trying to connect to my hub. I've not had any problems with other devices and the problem doesn't seem dependant on distance from the hub.

Could you please tell me how to resolve this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
TheXboxVision
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Nintendo Switch - Could not perform DNS name resolution

Hi,

I've had the exact same problem the past couple of days. I don't know whether the Switch is trying to use the same ip address as my phone but that's not working like it used to either.

I did manage to get the Switch to reconnect by turning it off and on again. Not just putting it to sleep, I held down the power button and clicked "turn off".

I know it's the old standard, but it seems to have worked so far. Worth a try at least.

All Replies
TheXboxVision
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi,

I've had the exact same problem the past couple of days. I don't know whether the Switch is trying to use the same ip address as my phone but that's not working like it used to either.

I did manage to get the Switch to reconnect by turning it off and on again. Not just putting it to sleep, I held down the power button and clicked "turn off".

I know it's the old standard, but it seems to have worked so far. Worth a try at least.
damoss007
Just joined
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I had the same problem today. The Switch has been able to connect fine up till now and suddenly couldn't resolve the DNS. As stated above a restart of the Switch did fix the problem.

Lewwy
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, this was stressing me out - should have tried it hours ago!

0 Kudos
Holloway_S
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Me too - was waiting for the Breath of the Wild update and wondering why it hadn't dropped. Thanks very much for the old "Have you tried turning it off and on again" line - it worked!! Much appreciated.
0 Kudos
obliter8
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Same thing happened to me, also resolved by completely powering down and restarting